Best time to shoot waterfalls

ozbot87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a storm coming which will bring rain to the gorge this Wednesday and I would like to take an opportunity to shoot some waterfalls surrounded by the colors of the fall season and sunshine during sunset. But, the focus is on the waterfall, not the foliage or sunshine. If I want to get a good shot, should I wait for clouds to come in for a darker shot? Or should I take the opportunity to shoot while there is light out?

It really depends of what you'd like to achieve, sometimes too much sunshine can affect the image in terms of reflections, too bright and all that.
Clouds help if you want to capture a longer exposure as obviously the longer the shutter is open the lighter the image will get, what are you shooting with?

In a sentence I'd say, focus on your composition, and then why not capture the waterfall on both conditions and compare and contrast?

I am using a Canon SL1 (100D) with the 18-55mm/f3.5-5.6 kit lens. Maybe I can underexpose the shot for the longer capture time (I would like to get the wispy effect) and I might have better luck when it's cloudy?

(I would like to get the wispy effect) and I might have better luck when it's cloudy?

Indeed you would, if you have a filter you could achieve the effect any time of day, but personally, Tripod cut the scene from quite a low angle to show how forceful and wonderful the waterfall is & I'd go when its cloudy opposed to sunny. enjoy your shoot !

Neutral density filters are your friends for getting longer shutter speeds in daylight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back