Best Tripod Head for Pano

Soda Ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like take some panoramic shots with my DSLR and stitch them together in Photoshop.

I will eventually buy a dedicated pano head such as a Nodal Ninja, but for now I'd like to keep things simple and use a general purpose head. I have a Manfrotto 3221 tripod--what kind of head, 3-way pan head or ball head, is best suited for pano work?

Any recommendations as to model/brand? My budget is around $150-200 max (I'd like to keep it closer to $150) and it needs to support a DSLR and lens weighing around 5 pounds.

3 way pan head. A ball head is not as good since only the expensive ones allow you to selectivly release pressure in one axis - most when you release pressure on the ball you release it for the whole surface - so there is a big chance that when panning side to side your vertical will also be changing.
A 2 way pan head will have a panning plate which will be on its own pressure release - so you can release pressure in that axis alone. There are dedicated panning plates as well which would combine well with a ballhead and allow paning, but its a more expensive rout and since your going for dedicated kit get the 3way

As for a model I can't advise - just go for the best you can afford :) Manfrotto heads are a solid investment too

yep that would work - if what you want is a ballhead with pano.
If your major interest is going to be landscapes, buildings, pano ect type subjects then chances are a 3 way is better/
but if your just branching out and want something more general and flexable then that looks to be a good choice

Most reactions

New Topics

Back