Best Value Most Versatile Lense for Canon T1i

Epicure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm relatively new to photography. And am looking to take pictures of friends, fashion, scenery, etc.
I currently have the 18-55mm lense and the 50mm f 1.8 lense.

I'm looking for a versatile lense that has the most bang for the buck. Not looking to spend more then $300. I'm open to 3rd party companies.

Furthermore.. I hate the fact that the 50mm lense has no zoom. That means, I'd have to walk closer/further away from the object to take a picture, right?

Thanks for the information!

Oh yeah, and this lense is most likely going to replace my 18-55mm lense. I'll be selling that lense to cut the cost of the new lense

The lens you want is my Sigma 18-200mm. :lol:
Seriously though, PM me if you want it. Would be a versatile lens for you. :thumbup:

Last edited:
If I have $300 and want to buy a lens to replace the kit lens, I will go with a used Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8. And that is what I did. I paid $300 for a used but in excellent condition Tamron lens. And it is on my camera most of the time.

Furthermore.. I hate the fact that the 50mm lense has no zoom. That means, I'd have to walk closer/further away from the object to take a picture, right?
Yes, but....the large maximum aperture of a 50mm lens (F1.8 for example) allows you to get a very shallow DOF and also allows you to get much faster shutter speeds, which means that you can get sharper shots in lower light situations where your 'kit' lens would only give you blurry shots.
On top of that, a non-zoom lens is doesn't have to worry about different focal lengths, so the image quality is going to be a lot better than a cheap zoom lens.

Some people want convenience, some would prefer to have better image quality.

Hi guys I'm relatively new to photography. And am looking to take pictures of friends, fashion, scenery, etc.
I currently have the 18-55mm lense and the 50mm f 1.8 lense.

I'm looking for a versatile lense that has the most bang for the buck. Not looking to spend more then $300. I'm open to 3rd party companies.

Thanks for the information!

What's the problem don't you have any legs, primes are the bees knees

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8? Lacking the wide angle, so it depends on your preferences. What I like about this relatively inexpensinve lens that is it f/2.8 and it's sharp.
Back bokeh is not too beautiful, but OK.

I don't know... in my mind.. versatile equates to a compromise. The kit lens 18-55mm + a 50mm f/1.8 (for low light) is pretty darn versatile. $300 isn't going to get you something that is "THAT" much more versatile nor better quality.

Perhaps a more defined meaning to versatile will help. Versatile to a sports photog or wildlife photog is going to be a different to a portrait, macro or street photographer.

I don't know... in my mind.. versatile equates to a compromise. The kit lens 18-55mm + a 50mm f/1.8 (for low light) is pretty darn versatile. $300 isn't going to get you something that is "THAT" much more versatile nor better quality.

Perhaps a more defined meaning to versatile will help. Versatile to a sports photog or wildlife photog is going to be a different to a portrait, macro or street photographer.

I guess I would like to say versatile in the fashion that I will be taking "portrait, macro, and street" photography.
Do you think that what I have can suffice?
What about a wide angle lense?

I don't see why not.... start shooting and over time you'll realize what exactly you really need. Enjoy shooting and experimenting and save. 18 on a crop camera is still a wid angle fov

i think your line up is versatile...

do you want a single lens for convenience?

Most reactions

Back