best way to print imacon scanned images

badperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,
I went to a lab last night and used an imacon scanner for the first time, and I'm wondering what the best way to print it.

I have a win7 machine (very fast, 8-core machine 8gigs ram) and photoshop, printing to an epson r2880

What is the best format/res to print from? the original tiff images (scanned at the highest setting) are about 350mgs each. A *.psd file is close to a gig.

The size of the images is the orig 120 6x7 neg size, so I need to make it bigger. But I get an error saying that when re-sizing I will exceed the 4gig limit for tiff.

Anyone else print these images at home? What settings should I use?
thanks!
bp

The size of the images is the orig 120 6x7 neg size, so I need to make it bigger. But I get an error saying that when re-sizing I will exceed the 4gig limit for tiff.
You'll need to reduce the bit-depth then by using a different file type.

Now that the photo is scanned, what are the pixel dimensions?

Hi,
pixel dimensions are 8754 x 7139 (after saving down to 8bit)

Hi,
pixel dimensions are 8754 x 7139 (after saving down to 8bit)
The bit-depth has zero impact on the pixel dimensions.

The bit-depth does impact the editing headpsace the image has. With an 8-bit depth there is little, if any, editing headroom.

Now you can set the pixels-per-inch (PPI) to determine the print size.

There is a discrepancy between the pixel dimension aspect ratio you give here (1.23:1), and the 6x7 aspect ratio (1.17:1).

Disregarding that, at 100 PPI the image would print at 87.54 inches by 71.39 inches.
At 200 PPI it would print 1/2 that size 43.77 inches by 35.70 inches.

To determine what PPI is needed to print at a specific size, divide the long side pixel dimension by the inch size you want the print.

If you want the long side to be 20 inches: 8754 pixels divided by 20 inches = 437.7 Pixels-Per-Inch (PPI). The short side will take care of itself.

Most reactions

Back