best way to shoot b&w

peanut170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Whats the best way for black & white? Have the d90 and all i can find is switch to the monocrome setting, and it says B&W, but my pics look nothing like the b&w ones i see on here. Should they be taken in regular color and changed to b&w in post, or.....?

I always do mine PP. There are so many different ways to do a BW that I just find it easier to do it when I have it on a giant screen.

I do the same... I love black and white, but some photos look better in color. So why shoot in b&w when you can have the best of both worlds. Always shoot in color that way you don't lose the color if you want it back.

I'm also a big fan of selective coloring, and I always use the original color when I do it. So shooting in b&w would force me to manually color in my images... which sounds too hard for me lol. I don't even know how to change my camera setting to shoot straight b&w, although I'm sure I could figure it out.

There are a few ways to change a photo to b&w in PS (if you have it).

1) Go to Image > mode > grayscale

or

2) Make a new hue/saturation adjustment layer and slide the saturation bar all the way to the left

There are more ways to do this, but those are the two main ways I like to do it. Look here for a tutorial on more ways to convert color to b&w: Photoshop Black and White - Color to Black and White Conversions Tutorials

Most reactions

New Topics

Back