Best way to sign a print?

Photo_Intrigue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have been trying to find a good very-fine ink pen for signing matte prints. I want something that is archive quality, will not damage, fade, bleed, or discolour the print, and will be easy to use. And, I want something available in different colours so I can best match ink colour to the print in question.

I have been trying a number of different permanent pigment markers, but haven't been completely happy with any of them for ink-flow characteristics on the print.

Any recommendations? What do you use for signing prints?

I know this question may raise the age-old debate of where and how to sign (matte, front, back, etc.). As interesting as that debate can become, I'm really interested in the best method for signing the front of matte-finish prints.

Thanks in advance,
David...

What are you printing on?
Fibre base, resin coated or inkjet paper?
For prints I always leave a wide border and sign on that. Pantone marker pens work well - or any spirit-based graphics marker pen should do.

Check out the scrapbooking section of your local hobby and crafts store. There will be a wide variety of archival markers/pens in many colors, designed to write on different surfaces.

Hertz van Rental said:
What are you printing on?
Fibre base, resin coated or inkjet paper?
For prints I always leave a wide border and sign on that. Pantone marker pens work well - or any spirit-based graphics marker pen should do.

I'm dealing mostly with borderless matte finish prints from my local photo house - typically Kodak or Fuji papers.

I don't know if they still make them but a rotring (ink pen) with permanent ink in the cartidge would do the trick.

I never sign on the print itself, unless I leave a larger border or maybe on the back. In either case it's not going to show when it's framed. I usually sign the matte.

I see signing the print on the image itself as a sign of a newer photographer. I don't mean this as an insult, but it is something that usually isn't done by someone who's been doing it a while. Just because it's convention not to doesn't mean you can't, but like the fancy borders on digital images, it can feel a little unprofessional to someone looking at it.

Most reactions

Back