Best wide angle lens for Landscape Photography?

P.D.P.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any recommendations for a good landscape lens?
I can't decide between a wide zoom or a wide prime.

Last edited:
Didn't want to get stuck on particular lens models, more the general pros & cons of zoom vs prime.
But since you ask, I'm shooting on a Nikon DX format (D200), but looking to move to an FX format (D700 - or D800 if/when it is released).

Nikkor 14-24mm outperforms most primes, and virtually all other zoom lenses. Check the 16.9 web site to see how it kicks the butt of lenses from Zeiss, Leica, and of course, Canon. The new Nikkor 14-24 eats basically anything Canon has made for breakfast; the new Nikkor ultra wide zoom is simply is a remarkable lens design and manufacturing achievement by Japan's best lensmaker. A number of top-level landscape shooters who shoot Canon bodies have bought the expensive aperture control lens adapter so they can get some great ultra-wide glass on their 1Ds series bodies.

Nikon 14-24mm G Test v Canon 14mm L II

Zooms 2
Prime 1

OK, sorry, probably a bit simplistic.
In that case - which Nikon lens would you recommend I get for nice sharp landscape photography.

Thanks

OK, sorry, probably a bit simplistic.
In that case - which Nikon lens would you recommend I get for nice sharp landscape photography.

Thanks

16-85 is ok. Good price and very good performance.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Thanks trizzo.
Thats the one I prefer at the moment.

n.hubb22 said:
I shoot with the Tonika 11-16 2.8 and love it!!
Same here! I love that Tokina lens... But I didn't mention it earlier as P.D.P. mentioned wanting to eventually have an FX camera. The Tokina 11-16 is for a DX. Thought I have seen a couple of people test it on an FX and it still works in the 15-16 range, anything wider and it's black corners

Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 is one of the best third party wide angle lenses available out there. It is as sharp as Nikon ones plus you get the constant f/2.8 and built like a tank. However, its limited focal length may make you scratch your head in some occasion but if you purchase a wide angle lens for landscape then this lens would be one of the best choices.

Another choice is Tokina 12-24 f/4 for a cheaper alternative. I owned it for a while and absolutely loved it. Try to avoid shooting into (or close to) strong light source though. This lens isn't so good with flares.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back