Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just discovered that I've lost the transmitter for my ancient, but much beloved cheap, POS, wireless remote shutter release. Since it's a piece of gear I use a LOT, I need to get another, and soon. I'm not too worried about price, but quality is important. It doesn't need to be fancy, in fact if all it does is trip the shutter with the press of a button, I'm happy; I can use an MC36 if I need an intravolmeter proper, but I need to be able to trip the shutter from distances of up to 50' (longer range is nice, but not critical).

Reviews of the Yongnuo units seem to indicate that their quality is commensurate with their price-point, so that lets them out...

Awesome thanks Sparky - I saw that one on my tour through eBay; what are your thoughts on build-quality, durability, etc? In short, how much of a beating can it take?

Do you have any Pocket Wizards?

Awesome thanks Sparky - I saw that one on my tour through eBay; what are your thoughts on build-quality, durability, etc? In short, how much of a beating can it take?

I rarely use it much in the field, although it does ride along in the backpack 100% of the time. I use it mostly for 'studio' shooting. But having it six months now, it still works perfectly.

So after several hours of research, there seem to be two leading contenders:

1. The TW-282 by PixelHK, as reviewed and endorsed by Sparky. A couple of concerns I have about it: Lack of a lanyard loop, larger size of the remote than I would like, and uncommon CR2 batteries.

2. The Aion by Phottix. My concern with this one is lack of information (I haven't found any third-party reviews). On the plus side however, it does use AAA batteries for both sides, and appears to have a slightly smaller physical size.

If anyone can shed further light, thoughts, recommendations on these (or others) I'd appreciate it.

If someone can explain why the **** Nikon doesn't make one, I'd be REALLY grateful!

Do you have any Pocket Wizards?
A bag full, but that's my lighting bag, and rarely rides with me unless I'm planning on using it (But they are what I'm using as an interim measure).

I have recently purchased a shutter release cord to go from Nikon body to a PW. I have played around with it but have not really thought of uses for it. The PW would give you way more than 50' away to trigger.

Anybody have any ideas, other than self-portrait, that they have thought of or done? I might need to start another thread...

The only original idea I have had with it is to mount a camera just above the bacstop of a basketball goal for some different shots at a game. Now I just need a mount that is good enough.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back