Bethany in B&W c&c welcome

frog21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
BethanyGE3_pp-BW.jpg

Not bad; I'd like to see a little more detail in the hair and eyes however. I'm curious about your lighting; what was your key light and why did you choose to light from below?

Thanks for the comments and I agree with the detail in the hair and eyes. I lit from below because it was field expedient and all I had for lighting was the sky and a reflector leaning against the tripod legs.

Agree, hair looks kinda soft.
But it's a good portrait ;)

Cheers

I think the overall degree of contrast is just a little bit too high for this subject and her expression and demeanor. The skin is just a tiny bit brighter than I'd like to see, but it's still okay. What makes this look too contrasty for me is the darkest spots in the hair, which I think need to be made a bit lighter. He's what I mean: hair dodged a bit to lighten up the darker areas somewhat, the face made a slight bit darker (- .53 EV) with the burn tool, and that one, single bokeh blob that was located in the left background area right on the very left edge of the frame cloned out.
BethanyGE3_pp-BWrework_ 2015.JPG

I think eliminating the bokeh blob helped as much as everything else combined! There's still one small, too dark area in the hair above the one eye that I missed.

Thanks for the comments and I agree with the detail in the hair and eyes. I lit from below because it was field expedient and all I had for lighting was the sky and a reflector leaning against the tripod legs.
Soooooo... if you had a tripod, why not set the shot, use the self timer and hold the reflector yourself?

This was not a portrait session but a brand new model that was nervous and we were just getting set up a so I grabbed a few candid shots while she was getting over the giggles. She really liked this one so I posted it. In fact most of the short session was like that because she was either nervous or laughing. She is a very pretty girl and we are going to shoot some more in a couple of weeks.

Derrel, I like the edit you did.

This was not a portrait session but a brand new model
Is this an older photo? I seem to remember you posting this model before?

Very nice image. The two white reflective specs in the eyes bother me but no one else has mentioned it so I guess it's just me.

Dave

This is an older photo from about 2 months ago. I am going through them again and playing with software. I am very experienced at processing film and printing but pretty much a novice at doing it digitally.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back