Better camera for SLR newbie?

dustinjt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm graduating to an SLR and getting into photography as a hobby, and there are two pretty good SLRs for sale in my area, but I'm not sure which is better for a beginner.

The first camera is the Cannon EOS 30D. It's an older camera, but after some research I have found that it is still a very good camera. It's for sale for $375, but it's body only, so I'll have to buy a lens (which I really don't need anything spectacular, so I can probably find something on the cheap that would suffice).

The second camera is the Cannon EOS XTi. From my research, I have found that this is a camera designed to be friendly for SLR beginners, but the quality of the photographs may not be as good as the 30D. It's for sale for $365.

I'm considering quality of camera in my purchase, but let's be honest... price is a huge factor in my purchase (I am a college student). So, the XTi will be cheaper. However, I also want a camera for the long haul. So which of these will be the best investment camera that I can build on and still have a great camera for years, and is also a newbie-friendly camera?

Thanks photography experts! And I will probably have many questions in the future!

Well, the 30D is a 8 MP camera, but has some advance features such as a little faster focusing and faster shooting. The xTi is a 10MP camera, but not quite as advanced on the features. Either of the two cameras will get you off to a wonderful start. (The 40D and the xti 400D are closely related) I use an xTi, and a 40D and have no complaints with either. Both cameras have automatic modes, semi-auto modes (like shutter and aperture priotity) and fully manual capability.

The 30D is quite a bit "bigger" in your hands than the xTi. I think the best thing is to actaully go hold the cameras and see which one you like.

As for the MegaPixel difference, it is really about preference. You will gain a "little" when you print over 8x10, but probably not as much as you would think. There are a couple of recent threads about that on here.

Good luck and start shootin'

Last edited:
I completely agree with above post. Personally, I think the "prosumer" bodies are much more comfortable than the entry level bodies. They're also more intuitive to use. The Canon 20D and 30D are both 8.2 MP, btw.

Actually, the 30D is a 8mpix camera not 6 and I think XTi is closely related to 30D since both are using Digic II processor while 40D use Digic III procoessor

If I going to pick between 30D and XTi, I will go with 30D if they are in similar condition because ..

- Higher Shutter life rating. 100,000 vs 50,000
- Larger body
- Metal body
- Pentaprism vs Pentamirror
- Spot meter in 30D, no spot meter in XTi
- 2 Wheels controls and top display in 30D. I jumped from XTi to 40D, I am not going back without the 2 wheels and top display. :)

Of course, there are other differences such as FPS, max shutter speed, but the differences list above are the main reasons I prefer 30D (personally preference)

lol....sorry for the typing error...it was early.. i fixed it above.

Most reactions

Back