better color?

JimmyJaceyMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
HI everyone. I was at the Children's museum yesterday with my son and they have a really cool room with water and boats and stuff. They all wear yellow raincoats in there and the colors in that room are so bright but I don't know what setting to put my camera on to get the best color out of a picture. I am trying not to use the automatic setting and I like the rest of this picture - though I haven't cropped it at all yet. I want to know if anyone can tell me how to get more vibrant colors. Or can I do it in photoshop? anything is appreciated :)

_MG_1103.jpg

vibrance of colours mainly depends on how the data from the sensor is translated into RGB-values of the final image. not sure about your camera, but you might be able to change this due to camera settings.

but since this is all software anyway (in one case camera, in the other on the computer), you can also do it in PS later by bumping up the contrast a bit and/or saturation.

cool thanks. There are RGB settings on my camera. One says something I cant remmeber, the other says Adobe RGB. Is this what I should try changing? I am afraid to mess around too much....... I dont want to break it! lol

you can fix the tone in photoshop, what do you usually use for your editing?

aww your kids soo cute

cool thanks. There are RGB settings on my camera. One says something I cant remmeber, the other says Adobe RGB. Is this what I should try changing? I am afraid to mess around too much....... I dont want to break it! lol

Uhm, no that setting actually refers to the colour space. one probably says sRGB the other Adobe RGB. That is a totally different topic ;)

What you are looking for are more some sort of colour settings, but just give it a try in PS, that might be easiest.

I personally shoot RAW and do ALL colour corrections and white balance after the shooting on my computer.

cool. I usually either use photoshop - but its not the full version, its Adobe Imageready CS2. I also have Gimp and the one that came with my camera - Photstudio 5.5.

I haven't been adventurous enough to get past changing things like the ISO so I need to mess around a bit more. Thanks for the tips. :wink:

Hi,
the one and only way to get true colors is to do a custom white balance (or Color balance)at picture taking. This takes away all questions and allow you to white balance for 10 seconds instead of color correct for hours, and never being sure of the result. The custom white balance will also free you of any doubts about your monitor calibration.
Use a photo grey card (never a white sheet of paper) or more sophisticated tools as teh ColorBalanceCoach to set your custom setting.

Coming back from your shoot, just open the image in Photoshop and print it.

jfokane

Your balance is pretty close. I'd subtract some blue. If you want more punch, I'd do that in editing. Most photos need a little work in that regard. If you don't want to do software work, most cameras will let you boost saturation in their setup. I prefer to do it afterward, as you get more control. Let me know if I can post an edit.

I need to ad din my signature that editing is always welcome and thank you.

No problem. If you go to your profile page, there's now an option at the bottom that will display your preference for editing.

MG_1103-mod.jpg

His face might be a little too red, but I just wanted to do a quick one to show you what a little edit will do. All I used was color balance to take out cyan (which adds red) and I boosted the saturation.

BTW, did you save this in the AdobeRGB color space? When saving as a JPG for the web, you want to make sure you convert to sRGB, or else the color will fade a little when viewed on the web. If you plan on printing, then using AdobeRGB is good; if you are only going to show them on the web, then setting the camera for sRGB is probably better.

oops ignore me

Most reactions

Back