Better everyday lens?

slinger1317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys, new to the forum here, and I've been dabbling with DSLR's for a few years. Finally stepping up to the big leagues by purchasing a Nikon D90. I already have a Nikkor 55-200 lens for close ups, but I am looking for an everyday lens that I will use 90% of the time. I will be using it mostly for everyday type uses: vacations, birthdays, some sports. My wife and I are expecting a baby in the fall, so a lot of pictures will be coming!

Anyway, I seem to keep coming back to a choice between the AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, or the prime AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G. What should I do??

I have read great reviews about the low light capability of the 35mm, but I would also feel I have the entire range covered with the 18-55 as a complement to the 55-2000 I already have. Will the 35 leave me with any gaps in my range??

I know both of these lenses will more than take care of my needs, I am just looking for some of the forum's thoughts on the pros and cons of each.

Thanks so much guys!

As for getting the 35mm F/1.8 lens or not, personally I will not replace the standard zoom lens with it. I think if possible, get a standard zoom and then a fast prime.

If really tight in budget, get a not so fast standard zoom lens (i.e. the Nikon kit lens) together with a fast prime lens such as the 35mm F/1.8.

For indoor shots such as birthday party, a standard zoom lens is more useful. And if decided to get the kit lens, you may also get a external flash that allow you bounce the light off the wall or ceiling.

The 50mm 1.4 is a great everyday lens that I've had on my D90 a lot more than my zooms especially since I currently have to walk everywhere I go.

Ever since I bought my 35mm 1.8, it hasn't been taken off the camera yet :)

I recently started a new blog which includes tips for beginners as well as pictures from current photo shoots I have been on to illustrate these basic tricks to improve the look of the photograph. Please visit the site and let me know how I can improve. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I would go with the 18-55 first. You will enjoy this the most when taking shots inside of the baby. Then if you want the prime... I would go with the 35mm. The 50mm just seems too much at times when on my d90.

Another great all around point and shoot lens is the 18-200 VR.

I would go with the 28-70 2.8, its next on my list as I already have the 18-55 and the 35 1.8, I can say that since I bought the 35mm I have not put the 18-55 back on the camera, but would never have the 35mm replace the 18-55, its a good lens to have around. Good luck in your choice, but if you think you will be mixing sports in I dont think the 35mm will do the trick for ya,nor will the 18-55(in my use of it). The Sigma that gian133 suggested seems to be your best bet!

Most reactions

Back