Better in B&W?

LifesMirror

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Feel free to do what thee will...
slidingblocks.jpg

Sorry if I sound rough, but this photo says so little to me at all that I don't feel like I would want to play with it. I don't see what MIGHT have been your purpose in taking this photo, in choosing the aperture you chose, in using that tilt and in not making use of the shadows.

No Corinna, go ahead. I need it if Im gonna learn. I think I have others of the blocks from other angles. What would YOU have done with these? Less FOD?

With FOD you mean DOF, I assume?
Well, I think I would not have bothered to take their photo in the first place. I don't find them in any way attractive or show-worthy ... they are just big squares that block off something. Don't know ... I feel there are more attractive things about.

I tend to agree with Corinna about the subject. It doesn't say much, in my opinion. The angle is interesting, but doesn't make much of a statement. The only thing that might interest me is the textures, which I would have made stand out more, since they go rather unnoticed in your picture. I also dislike the crop, as it doesn't really put focus on anything, IMO.

What did you want to capture with this pic?

Anyways, if it was my pic and I wanted to keep it I'd do something like this:

slidingblocks1.jpg

the picture is kinda bland. theres not enough contrast between the blocks and the floor. the highest point of focus, in my opinion, is where the right side of the blocks kinda clash with the shadows on the floor. while on the topic of shadows, the shadow on the front block is unusual. some depth of field would have been nice. since alot of it is in focus, and consists of lots of texture from the floor and the blocks and some trees in the back, the image comes out almost noisy. the quality of it all seems over exposed and a little saturated (like, maybe you had it on the wrong white balance setting). maybe if you posted the settings you used, we might be able to help a little more. but thats what ive observed.

it appears a bit overexposed and colours are quite off, but not in a way that i would shift the colours intentionally.

apparently some thought went into the composition and angles. but the rocks furthest away do not really resolve as single blocks of stone anymore

the quality of it all seems over exposed and a little saturated (like, maybe you had it on the wrong white balance setting). maybe if you posted the settings you used, we might be able to help a little more. but thats what ive observed.

Well, It was taken with my old Pentax K1000. I thought the blocks were cool, so I tried to find a quick shot of them that didnt show the parking lot behind me,lol. My personal theme of that day was shapes, which is why these "blocks" attracted me. Im still trying to learn how to use this old thing which is my main goal. I just got into photography a month ago so I welcome any C&C I get. Thanks for your time :D

Hi there

I had a go at doing something with your photo - very often we don't get a chance to see something in a shot until we do something with it.

In this case I started off by splitting it into cmyk formats - inverting the k file - rejoining it - tweaking the contrast, color balance, color hue - then rotating it about 15 degrees - and cropping out the background.

Adding the frame and a title just gives it a little bit of confinement.

It would look better if I had a higher resolution file to work with.

Hope you like it.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/125/361963446_4df9905d2f_o.jpg

It would look better if you chucked it. Get it?

You must be kidding me. You took a photo that was basically no good to begin with, and you miraculously transformed it into some Warhol-wannabe 1980's Technicolor nightmare. Well done to you!

This is a mistake I often make when out photographing -- I see something that appeals to me and I go ahead and snap it. Afterward, I look at it and think, "Well, that would make an interesting setting for something to be happening in!" Don't feel like an unsuccessful photo is a failure, it's just a page in your photo notebook. I'm thinking that the geometric template of the blocks might be an interesting context for some asymmetrical human stuff to take place in, which is where having friends you can recruit to pose for you comes in handy; but do ditch the "Batman" camera angle, and go long lens instead of wide. Which means you'll have to stand farther back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back