Better Lens

SanctuS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have the Canon EF 75-300mm lens, and I was wondering what would be the next step up--in everyone's opinion. Mine doesn't have IS, but as I understand it, as long as I keep the shutter speed at around the same as the focal length as in 200mm=1/200...I'll be fine, but I could be wrong about that.

Another thing is, I think I might like the better autofocus e.g. USM...but I have been trying to follow the advice of those here on forum and completely going manual...manual focus etc.

Another thing would be clarity...would a better lens give me a noticeable difference in clarity...I'm not talking L Class Lenses, just the next step up.

Hope this isn't too long winded...

Yes I have the same lens and i notice some not very clear images.

I am looking at the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM for a telephoto lens.

It looks to be a very good telephoto lens upgrade.
Its only $580 on B&H
Its probably cheap because its F4 but hey thats still decent. (Its better than F5.6)
Anyways the only downside is it goes to 200mm not 300mm as current lens. The difference between 200 and 300 isnt major but might be a part in your decision.

Just my 2 cents.

Your welcome. I am kinda in ur spot. I am also looking for a better lens.

L teles like the 70-200 f/4L are tack sharp at maximum aperture whereas you'll generally need to stop down these cheaper 70-300mm lenses to f/8 or even f/11 to get the same sharpness. Especially on film, that's usually going to result in an acceptably slow shutter speed unless you either have great light, or stabilization, or a tripod. Don't listen to the dorks saying to go all manual focus. :confused: If you're a hobbyist and that's your thing then fine, but otherwise who cares? If you really need 300mm, you might want to checkout the 70-300 IS, or something like a 300mm f/4 IS ($$$$). If you can get by with 200mm or less, those 70-200 f/4L's with IS or without are perhaps "the" best telephoto lenses in the business among ANY system out there. If I shot Canon I'd have a 70-200 f/4L IS lens tomorrow.

questions...

Budget?
Do you shoot in a lot in low light?
On your current 75-300mm lens. Do you find yourself shooting past 200mm? or closer to 75mm?
Would you consider third party lenses?

If you don't find yourself shooting on the far end of the 75-300 focal range, consider the 28-135mm USM IS. It is optically a step forward for both your lenses, it has a faster focusing motor, and image stabilization. This is a good, general, walk around lens.

If you don't find yourself shooting past 200mm, the Canon 70-200 f/4L lens is a good choice but pricey depending on your budget. If third party lenses are an option, you should consider some options there as many will give more for your buck than equivalent Canon options.

I also agree with Mav... don't manual focus.. the viewfinder in your camera really isn't geared for it. Learn to leverage the AF in your camera.

btw.. the biggest advantage of the 70-200 f/4L is the high IQ in a very compact and easily packable package. Its hard to see it in photos but the 70-200 f/4L is hardly a large lens...

The IS is a bit out of my range for money. I wish I can get the IS but hey... lol

Any of the other Canon telephotos should provide better image quality than the 75-300 (according to on-line reviews, anyway). I have the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, but now I still want the $1400 EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM for a longer reach and a sharper image.

Take a look at the lens reviews here:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/
and here:
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

I would consider a third-party lens as long as it was better than the one I have now. I looked at those reviews and see that very little good is said about the lens I have now...

I think the 70-200mm is around what I would need because I usually shoot outdoors while just walking around. Since the only thing 300mm is too short for is most bird shots and easily spooked wildlife, I don't think that 200mm would be too short.

Are there any lenses by the third-party companies that are similar to the Canon 70-200mm USM f/4L lens.

By the way, I could not see myself affording the IS lens ($1600) any time in the near future...

Most reactions

Back