Between two decisions! HELP!

bl1nd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I've been using a pretty basic setup ever since I started into Photography about two years back. Currently my setup consists of

• Canon T3i
  • 50mm f/1.8 I (Metal base, viewfinder, ya'know)
  • 35-70mm f/3.5-4.5
  • Yougnao YN-560 flash (AWESOME for $65)

So, my dilemma is, I have a $2500 computer I built about a year ago. I was using it for gaming, but they don't interest me much anymore. I have a spare computer that the specs are perfect for doing Lightroom/Photoshop work on, along with some light gaming. I am thinking about selling my computer for $850-900 and picking up a Canon 17-40mm f/4L and spending the rest on a GOOD tripod.

Is this a good decision on my part? I do not generally use any sort of telephotos, and actually sold off the Sigma 24-135 F/2.8-4.5 I had because it was only sharp ~60mm-100mm and that was too long for me.
I believe the 17-70mm range covered by these lenses, with the 50mm prime in there for the thin DOF would be a great setup.

I know it looks like I have made up my mind here, but I really am open to input on if there is a better decesion to be made, such as the 24-105mm or something. I would like to step into the "L" glass, as I want it for the build quality also. Being as clumsy as I am, I need something to take the abuse.

I am open to Sigmas and other non-"brandname" lenses, but would highly prefer a canon lense over the others.

Thank you for your time reading, and I hope to hear some amazing responses from the people that are much more talented than I!

What kind of photography currently interests you?

Still shots of Cars, Buildings, any-theme that pops up into my head. But, I do not enjoy doing anything with a human MODEL. Such as Fashion, senior-pictures, etc.

Still shots of Cars, Buildings, any-theme that pops up into my head. But, I do not enjoy doing anything with a human MODEL. Such as Fashion, senior-pictures, etc.

Then yes, the wide angle zoom will serve you well.

What's the specs on your computer...I might be interested in it if you decide to sell it.

It sounds like a good wide angle is the right choice for you. The 17-40 is a really nice lens, but it is only an F4. Do you shoot a lot in low light? That could be a bit limiting. If you use flash a lot or shoot mostly during the day it may not be an issue. The 16-35mm L is amazing and so, so sharp but also is pretty costly. (about $1500.00) Maybe you could find a really good deal on a used one? I only use Canon lenses so I can't speak of any of the other off brands.

What's the specs on your computer...I might be interested in it if you decide to sell it.

zxJ1pqp.png

The RAID partition is two 30gb SSD's in RAID-0. The computer will come with a fresh legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.

Most reactions

Back