Beware...

Why hang a fragile, expensive bit of kit on something that's a giveaway bit of advertising? I've not liked the the straps that came with any camera I've owned; the 'NIKON' on that I got with my latest? coarse, cheap webbing, poor quality stitching, flimsy plastic buckles....straight in the bin.

What do you use now?

Nylon guitar strap with snap locks, no way that's going to fail.

Everything can fail...

Is this common?

I use the Canon strap and it feels pretty rock solid to me. I can't see it failing unless something tugs *really* hard on it, in which case they'd probably rip my head off and I wouldn't need a camera anyway.

Now, if it's not "buckled up" properly and comes undone as a result, that's the user failing, not the strap.

I will say that I have a smallish Canon camera bag that is big enough to fit the body with a lens fitted, 2 other lenses, and 2 speedlights. I really like the size and portability of it, but I'm just dumbfounded at the design of its strap. Each side of the bag has a little ring, and the strap has plastic clips on each end that hook up to the rings. The clips rotate so that the strap can be untwisted easily. It looks fine at a glance but there were 3 times when I was on the move, slung the bag over my shoulder, and one of the clips came undone, almost spilling my gear out onto the ground; actually, one time, I was standing on a bridge and almost lost a lens into the lake below. I ended up wrapping duct tape around the two clips so they can't unhook. Looks ghetto as all hell but at least it's safer.

Hmmm... Nothing more out of the OP on this since the initial post. No photo, no further explanation. Based on 40+ years of never having a strap just break, I'm going to go ahead and assume user error, rather than manufacturer's poor design or malfunction.

Would love to see an actual, scientific, stress test on one of these "flimsy" OM straps too, to see exactly how many pounds of pressure it can endure before breaking. I bet it's a LOT more than is necessary to hold a camera's weight, no matter what size lens, flash, or other added accessories are attached to it.

Hmmm... Nothing more out of the OP on this since the initial post. No photo, no further explanation. Based on 40+ years of never having a strap just break, I'm going to go ahead and assume user error, rather than manufacturer's poor design or malfunction.

Would love to see an actual, scientific, stress test on one of these "flimsy" OM straps too, to see exactly how many pounds of pressure it can endure before breaking. I bet it's a LOT more than is necessary to hold a camera's weight, no matter what size lens, flash, or other added accessories are attached to it.

b6Cu40v.jpg

gunBKEM.jpg

8bHDA9B.jpg

RPOI4Fw.jpg

1f6NVxF.jpg

I don't really know what additional explanation is necessary. There is no good reason why the strap should have broken at the seam when the only weight it was supporting was that of my Leica and lens. I also don't know why there is some implication that I am lying about this. Just because I shoot Nikon doesn't mean I intend on launching a smear campaign on Canon for faulty camera straps. In all reality I'm a pissed off 17 year old with a now damaged Leica camera due to a camera strap breaking while I was walking around. I can borrow my friend's macro lens and take closer up pictures of the broken seams, strap and dent if you'd like. I can also contact my local crime scene investigators or local government if that would suffice.

Edit: Should have posted pictures with the OP. The thread died a while ago and I forgot about it. Still haven't had any extra money to go have it fixed.

I recently purchased a couple Black Rapid straps for my bodies which I enjoy very much, as they make carrying/maneuvering/using the camera from the shoulder position much easier. Prior to that I had my 5D with grip and 70-200 being held by just the stock Canon strap and never ran into any problems. After seeing this, though, I don't think I'll be using a Canon strap again any time soon.

Looks like they only applied one single stitching along the horizontal top connecting the type nylon straps. It really needs more stitching, preferably some vertical stitching that runs along with the nylon.

Anyhow, I can't speak for Canon since I don't own one but Nikon straps contains stitching in both directions.

Here is a picture of one of my Nikon straps and my Smugmug strap.

Straps are for pu**ies.

The only time I ever wear a strap is when i'm in the city & it's getting late.

Other than that, i'm naked all the time baby!

PS sorry about your Leica

Thanks for the photos and the explanation Tevo. I certainly stand corrected. That strap was poorly designed and failed you.

I personally wouldn't let it go so easily as you, and would leave comments and criticism over it everywhere I thought it was relevant. Amazon, B&H, Adorama, Canon and any other site that sells them would be getting my review, including photos.

Others need to be aware of the potential problems caused by this poor design, just as you're making us all aware here at TPF.

Hmm odd, it looks like a faulty batch or loan example since I just had a look at my canon strap and the strap part goes all the way into the leather padding and well into the cross of stitching at the base; whilst it appears your broken one is only stitched at the very top (which of course leaves it very weak).

Did you not know that sony designed nikon straps are 3 years ahead of their canon rivals:sexywink:

I just checked my two Canon straps and they go right up through to the wider part and are cross stitched at the top. Looks like the OP's strap is a mis-made one.

Most reactions

Back