BIF/Action shot Settings, what are your favorites?

robbins.photo

Yup, It's The Zoo Guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've seen some really amazing birds (and bats) in flight photos posted here, and some really great action/sport shots as well. I was curious as to what sort of settings folks were using and what techniques they find provide them with the best odds of success.

Of particular interest, the autofocus settings on the camera (assuming your using autofocus of course), and what sort of shutter speeds you choose for various effects. I'm also curious if you have other techniques that you find helpful taking these kinds of pictures.

Looking forward to a variety of responses. :)

Maybe this will help.
$Shutter speed chart.jpg
A good guide for shutter speed.

Since I generally shoot sports I shoot wide open or very close to wide open. Single focus point in the area of the action that I want most in focus. Depending on the sport it may or may not be the center focus point. That is one of the advantages of using a camera with 61 focus points.

For focus, I usually use auto focus continuous, single point. Whenever doing wildlife at all I always use those settings. Any type of dynamic/3d/multipoint focusing, it usually tends to focus on anything else but the small bird I'm trying to capture. Sometimes, if there is a high traffic area thats getting a lot of action, I'll go manual focus and set a trap at a certain distance.
Shutter speeds, for me the faster the better. Doesn't always work out like that though as they tend to get up and fly when you,re not prepared for it.

Single point auto focus, Aperture priority f8 or slightly wider, ISO set to keep shutter speed around 1/500. If your camera controls allow it, assign focus point, EV and aperture to controls you can use while moving.

Phil

You probably know what I use for AF Robbin ;) so I won't go there.

On a perched bird I like to lower the ISO to ISO 100. Shutter speed 1/500th, around there somewhere.

BIF's are a different story and remember I shoot 90% of the time in bright sunlight. ISO 200 - 400, 1/2500 - 1/4000. The lenses were carefully picked so they could be shot wide open. The 300 @ F/2.8, 500 @ F/4.5 and the 800 @ F/5.6. Wide open they are pretty sharp and they allow faster shutter speeds. The 300 and 500 are hand held, the 800 goes on a tripod, too darn heavy and long that lens.

Technique, well that's all MF and probably not much use to you Robbin. Exposure wise, I use an EVF which allows me to basically see what the exposure will look like ..... within reason and I always keep an eye on the histogram in the EVF. Because I like higher shutter speeds, the camera is set to shutter priority and the ISO is locked. So my settings are fairly easy Robbin. AF and OIS / VR I don't need to worry about. Always try and shoot with the sun at my back and one of the best tools is learn to relax when shooting, not tense, that's a time thing.

All the best Robbin.

Danny.

Most reactions

Back