Big cars Big Boobs and Intellectuals

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Why is it that when I post things here and this is especially true in the case where I'm looking for advise or critique do I get loads of views but very little actual advise. To be fair its not just me, or thats what I tell myself, others have the same problem its great to get 20 million views but only getting 4 comments is aggravating.

Many times I'll view an image I don't feel I'm qualified to critique. I may know what I like and dislike about the image, but it's not within the real of my expertise. So my opinion would, IMHO, be invalid.

Thats a sit on the ditch answer

Your title may be enough to make someone view the post, but the question or the photo may not be enough to make someone respond. The whole thing is hit or miss.

Don't take it personally. Sparky's answer is absolutely valid.

Your title may be enough to make someone view the post, but the question or the photo may not be enough to make someone respond. The whole thing is hit or miss.

Im not just talking about me if you look through the forums there are countless others who go unanserwed

Im not just talking about me if you look through the forums there are countless others who go unanserwed

Gotcha. Still it's hit or miss based on all sorts of things.

It's because people don't get paid to do this, and some (like myself) generally don't critique people's work publicly.

Sometimes its because the photo is technically good but not necessarily a great photo. I can't tell you that you did anything wrong... it just doesn't do anything for me. Or sometimes everything that needs to be said has been said already.

It's because people don't get paid to do this, and some (like myself) generally don't critique people's work publicly.

I always try to just post up what I think or click agree if a previous person has said what I'm thinking

I've asked myself that question, several times before. And to answer it, I always reverse it and look at it from another direction. What compels ME to respond to a thread, instead of simply viewing it?
How often do *I* view threads and NOT respond? The answer to the second question is--quite a bit.
The answer to the first question is more complicated.

It depends on my mood; maybe I'm just in the mood to browse, not type.
It depends on the time I have; maybe a response comes to mind, but it's more than just "Nice!" and so I decide I don't have time to type all that out (as was the case the first TWO times I viewed this thread).
For a photo thread, it depends on the photo. If I just hate it and think "wow, that's just really bad," I'm typically going to just leave instead of saying "That's a terrible photo. IMO." But most of them don't provoke that response for me, so why don't I post a reply?
At least for me, the following things tend to increase the chance that I'll respond to a photo thread:
--There is something in particular I notice that I believe could improve the photo.
--It is absolutely stunning picture that grabs my attention.
--The OP asks one or several pointed questions to invite response (i.e., what do you think of the composition? Is this a little underexposed? What could I do the next time about "x"?)
--There are OTHER responses to the thread and they say something that I want to respond to, or add to.

The photo threads that I am the LEAST likely to comment on are those where I see absolutely nothing WRONG with the photo, nothing I would necessarily do differently, but it just doesn't have a "wow" factor.
I can't really critique it, as I have no particular critique to give for it, but I also wouldn't add it to a "favorites" folder if we had such a thing. It's just a "that's nice enough" photo.

Finally, I (often mistakenly) usually assume that my reply doesn't really matter, because others will reply too.

Or, it could be as simple as the fact that it's posted on a Thursday. Personally, I could just never quite get the hang of Thursdays. :D

This forum has something like 68 different sub-sections; far too many. However, most people that are active, and who reply, read the TPF pages by using the Active Topics link...we click on Active Topics, and discuss what's currently active. If you live in a European time zone, or happen to post something that does not "catch fire" immediately, your post will end up on Page 3 or Page 4, often very quickly, and the post will effectively be dead before you know it.

I've asked myself that question, several times before. And to answer it, I always reverse it and look at it from another direction. What compels ME to respond to a thread, instead of simply viewing it?
How often do *I* view threads and NOT respond? The answer to the second question is--quite a bit.
The answer to the first question is more complicated.

It depends on my mood; maybe I'm just in the mood to browse, not type.
It depends on the time I have; maybe a response comes to mind, but it's more than just "Nice!" and so I decide I don't have time to type all that out (as was the case the first TWO times I viewed this thread).
For a photo thread, it depends on the photo. If I just hate it and think "wow, that's just really bad," I'm typically going to just leave instead of saying "That's a terrible photo. IMO." But most of them don't provoke that response for me, so why don't I post a reply?
At least for me, the following things tend to increase the chance that I'll respond to a photo thread:
--There is something in particular I notice that I believe could improve the photo.
--It is absolutely stunning picture that grabs my attention.
--The OP asks one or several pointed questions to invite response (i.e., what do you think of the composition? Is this a little underexposed? What could I do the next time about "x"?)
--There are OTHER responses to the thread and they say something that I want to respond to, or add to.

The photo threads that I am the LEAST likely to comment on are those where I see absolutely nothing WRONG with the photo, nothing I would necessarily do differently, but it just doesn't have a "wow" factor.
I can't really critique it, as I have no particular critique to give for it, but I also wouldn't add it to a "favorites" folder if we had such a thing. It's just a "that's nice enough" photo.

Finally, I (often mistakenly) usually assume that my reply doesn't really matter, because others will reply too.

Or, it could be as simple as the fact that it's posted on a Thursday. Personally, I could just never quite get the hang of Thursdays. :D

See? :)

hmm - I'm not sure why this thread was started in the Articles of Interest forum, but I've moved it to a new home. :)

Most reactions

Back