Big Dipper w/ Northern Lights

240shorty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How bad does this pic suck?

Big dipper over Indian lake w/ a touch of Aurora Borealis.
15 second exposure.

Yes, I know, very, very dark. My lowest F setting is 2.8 and I used the highest ISO setting possible, which for me is 800. Thanks for the link, though, coincidentally, the chart for 2.8 and 800 shows a 15 second exposure, which is what I used. It is also the longest I can do without holding it down manually, and I didn't want to move the camera with my finger. The lights were not bright, and the stars came out a little light too. There was no moonlight to reflect off the lake either, so you can't even really see it. I probably needed a little brighter night. So, to critique my own photo, it's too dark and not very good at all. :thumbdown: I'll try and do better next time.

If you are using a 35mm with film you could try getting a cable release if your camera will take one. They come with a cable lock. You put your shutter speed on B - the shutter stays open as long as you keep the button pressed - and use the cable to keep the shutter open. The cable will stop and hand movements being transferred to the camera. Use a watch to time the exposure.
Do remember that with film reciprocity failure will have an effect so you need to check the manufacturers data to find out how much to compensate.
If you are using digital then I haven't got a clue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back