Big Jump!!!

tinacolada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ittybittyportraits.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need all the help I can get making my next big decision. I currently am doing photography on "the side" which is such an understatement because everything I see is in photographs, it consumes as much of my time as my full time job and I make close to the same amount of money and I love doing it. I just don't have the confidence to get a studio and jump in. I have a daughter with a chronic illness so I will still have to work as a nurse to keep her well and insured but I would love to cut back and do photography full time and nursing part time. I do a lot of photographs out of my house but I really want a studio. I did a lot of business where I use to live and I just got so stressed out running it out of my house and all the calls, emails, ordering, etc. It was too much doing both with 2 babies under the age of 2 and a full time job. That is why if I do this I will “jump in” so to say, redesign my web page, adjust pricing, studio leasing, leasing in the mall for advertising…..So, if anyone has any insight as to what they did/do or how they jumped in I would love any advice. I will put some of my latest pics up, let me know what you think. CC always welcome. Do you think they are too pink? I have been battling with pink lately, I have been trying to find the perfect WB and I haven't yet..... ;)

DSC_4804copy.jpg

DSC_4776copy.jpg

DSC_2650copy.jpg

DSC_2666copy.jpg

DSC_4750copy.jpg

DSC_2618copy.jpg

DSC_3801copy.jpg

DSC_3845c.jpg

DSC_3000c.jpg

DSC_2933c.jpg

DSC_4835bw.jpg

DSC_4821copy.jpg

DSC_4788copy.jpg

The photos are excellent, you certainly have the photographic skills to be successful.

I don't have a studio and haven't moved to doing this full time yet either...so I don't really have any advice on that. I do know that opening a studio/business location can be a big step...especially at first. I'd be worried that in order to pay the bills, you might have to be there quite a lot, which would be hard with another part time job and especially with a family at home.
I've seen people fail and I've seen other say that finally taking that step was the best decision that they ever made. I think that a big part of it, is how well you run the business and manage your time.
I hope some others chime in here.
Good luck to you.

Maybe you should consider sharing studio space or renting studio space on a as-needed basis to save you some overhead. When you're comfortable with the big 'jump' then get your own.

I am in the SAME situation. I work full time and run my photography business on the side. I want nothing more than to stay home with my 9mo old daughter and run a home studio. Business is good, but not stable. Winter months my weddings slow down and so does my photography income. So, I'm scared to quit my salary job. It's definitly a big step! I wish you the best and hopefully I'll be following shortly!

Sorry, no advice, I just want to say your pictures are great!

The transition between part time to full time is a really big step, first you need quite a lot of cash, or at least backing from your bank which in todays climate is a big zero, at least over here. Costs of setting up a studio are prohibitive too unless you already have all the equipment, 2 lights won't cut it, then there's insurance, marketing etc etc, its all money out and very little income till you're established. Once up and running there are still lean periods, here, the months between xmas and easter are the worst, people are too busy paying off debts to spend on photography.

Then there's you're time, you say it was stressful running the business from home, its not going to be any less stressful running a studio and unless you can commit yourself 100% I would advise against the move.

Getting customers through the door is the biggest problem, you need special offers/deals, new ideas etc, and you need to provide something you're competitors don't, a new style etc. I would like to finish by saying that if this is how you'd like the course of you're life to follow then go for it, don't think it'll be easy, its not, but, if successful it can provide you with a decent lifestyle and its totally rewarding being your own boss doing something you love. H

PS. I agree with all Mike said too, especially the business part.

Last edited:
I just want to start off by saying that I don't own a studio or do this full time. I am 20 year old college student who is balancing photography and school trying to figure out what to do with his life. I'm majoring in business, which is a back up plan.

Anyways, I think an important thing to think about at this time, is the economic situation. This may not be the best time to try and open up a studio just because the money will not be there, and if you fail now you might be discouraged from ever trying again. And if you became discouraged, you may never have realized that your business under better economic situations would have flourished. Maybe you could find a studio space and pick it up for cheap due to the economic situation and keep your day job just for now, until your business takes off and you feel confident.

All just thoughts I had when reading this.

Totally agree w/ cszakolczai. Might not be the best time right now. :( You do great work. I love the first photo. Absolutely beautiful!! Dont give up, just give it some more time. :D Just my 2 cents!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back