Bike Night

JTG40cal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and a buddy I ride with (exceptional photographer) has offered to provide some of us with informal photography lessons beginning next week - one night a week for six weeks.

Our first assignment, in preparation for the first class, is to submit two photos. One of something that holds monetary or emotional value and one portrait. I havent gotten to the portrait yet, but here is my photo of something that actually holds both monetary AND emotional value to me. I took this tonight after a nice little ride. I noticed the street lamp as I was pulling in and was hoping I could make something of it.

I dont have a tripod yet, so I had to use a makeshift box and the camera's timer. Any input is greatly appreciated

Lens = Canon Ultrasonic 10-22mm
Shutter Speed = 20"
Aperature = 4.5
ISO = 100 (probably should have increased this...didnt even think about that until just now)
Flash = N/A

3802644967_675f5c05b4_b.jpg

Any comments are greatly appreciated. Please tell me how I could impove.

Thank you!

I can't tell you how to improve but I like the concept of your image. The color works for me, it's not red or blue. I actually enjoy following the line to the bike, the visual/composition is nice. Not fond of the trees or the lamp post even though it's needed. I like it though... cool grenade.

I like the concept as well. However, I find the angle of the curb and lamp post distracting. I would straighten that up.

Thank you for the feedback! Im sure someone with some post-processing skill could get everything straightended out (e.g., lamp post and curb), but unfortunately, that person is not me.

I like the concept and color, but the angle (as stated above) and the trees are too distracting. Maybe find a light with nothing behind?

Thanks for all the compliments! Honestly, I was not quite sure how I felt about it, but your positive feedback is reasuring. Like I said, I didnt have a tripod so I had to prop the camera up on a small box and use the timer.

So, any technical improvemnets I can make? Unfortunately that light post just leans a bit. I can certainly try for another location later. But I am looking for suggestions so like If I were to go back out there right now, I should try....different shutter speed? Aperature seting? ISO? Would having it set at a shutter spead of 25" or 30" yielded bette results? Maybe ISO at like 400 or 800?

Works for me. I love this photo.

Andy

I think if you go back and shoot the picture with the pole straight up and down it would make it look much better, or ask someone with photoshop fix it for you.

i find the light from the lamp really blown out and its bugging me... how about a low powered strobe to the side to act as a fill in so the lamp won't be so bright? just a suggestion as i just find the lamp drawing my attention away from the bike.

To me the cross walk line helps this picture. It pulls your eye to the object. Try to cut out some of the trees and capture more pavement. That pole and white line is never going to be straight. See if Mr. Oakes can edit out the pole and just keep the light in the shot... It would be unreal. Hovering above with no base...

Just post your picture in this tread and see what he can do...
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...ork-you-beginners-welcomed-7.html#post1677520

Most reactions

New Topics

Back