Bike on a porch HDR

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my father gave my son this pretty expensive bike. My father is a bike collector and so he passes his collection down to his grandkids. I thought it would be a cool idea to do an HDR photo of it and frame it for him but I wanted to make it interesting so I added clutter around to give it more of an interesting mood.

bike by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

To me, there's too much clutter. Kind of makes the bike stand out less. The skateboard draws my eye more than the bike because it has more light falling on it. You also chopped off the rear wheel, which makes the bike seem less important in the photo.

The background is also very visually messy. You should do some reading on composition, rule of thirds, and background control.

For me, in this instance, I like the clutter. Also the toms logo in the back! :thumbup: haha

I've never been a huge fan of HDR but I like this one.

You also chopped off the rear wheel, which makes the bike seem less important in the photo.

Yeah I was bummed when I saw I chopped the rear tire....should have redone it.

oh yeah it took me a while to set up and position all that clutter....:lol:

Last edited:
Yeah the over the top cartoon HDR seems to work in this photo...

So, what is the dynamic range of this image?

Or perhaps, what was the dynamic range of this scene?

A nice post from another forum on the subject:
About "high dynamic range" - Open Photography Forums

For me, in this instance, I like the clutter. Also the toms logo in the back! :thumbup: haha

I've never been a huge fan of HDR but I like this one.

You mean you've never been a fan of grunge processing on bracketed photos.

HDR is not a style.

You also chopped off the rear wheel, which makes the bike seem less important in the photo.

Yeah I was bummed when I saw I chopped the rear tire....should have redone it.

oh yeah it took me a while to set up and position all that clutter....:lol:

I don't mind the clutter, but you have too much of it stacked on the left side of the frame in my opinion. Maybe if the skateboard was in the right corner, in shadow, it may balance the photo out a bit more.

Looks like what you would see on a young boys birthday card.

Another side note:

You cropped this to an odd dimension. Therefore, printing is going to be a challenge and possibly more expensive.

I agree w/ Tyler, too much clutter and I'm not digging the square crop.

I'm on the fence with this one. Already mentioned is the chopped rear tire which grabbed my eye. I like the clutter as it reminds me of my son's overly cluttered room. But just a tad too much contrast and saturation for my tastes. That doesn't make it right nor wrong, just what I prefer. Guess you could call me an old fashion realist.

I may retry this shot without the clutter and making sure I don't chop any of the bike out. I used Nik HDR pro for this and not photomatix.

I only have Photmatix Essentials 3. How is Nik different, and does it pay to have more then one HDR program?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back