billiard chalk

gatorwire

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
here are two pics of billiard chalk...

chalk2.jpg

chalk.jpg

What I am trying to accomplish is to get the chalk in detail as well as the wood grain leading up to the chalk. As you can see the picture has detail horizontally across the chalk but I am trying to get the detail vertically.

How can I get the grain of wood closest to the lens detailed and also see the chalk clearly?

maybe try to close the apperture... something like f16 or f22 should help... but then you need more light

You'll need to put the camera on a tripod and close down the aperature, as someone said. The tripod is because you'll need to open the shutter for a longer exposure.

Also, I'd try less exposure -- I think a darker image will bring out some of the colors.

Is this a product shot for advertising? If so, turn the chalk so the brand name is more visible in the second frame. If not, consider turning the chalk on its side, so you see more chalk and less words.

-Av mode
-Aperture number 8, 16 or 22
-Since you have a DSLR you can see the Depth of Field changing right away.

A wide open aperture (2.8 or smaller number) gives you the effect (shallow Depth of Field) in your photo.

Cheerio! :)

PS: This would be a great place for reading when you have some free time on your hand.

Most reactions

Back