Bipolar Bird

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm outside today and I see this Cardinal sitting on the car's side-view mirror. It flies away and then comes back and flies into the mirror. Then it sits on the door edge and looks at itself in the mirror and then flies into the mirror and flies off. Wait 2 minutes and repeat. So after about a dozen episodes of this I decide -- go get the camera.

Joe

crazy_bird_2_zpsurgat3gr.jpg

crazy_bird_3_zpskjinx3ls.jpg

crazy_bird_1_zpssppaouls.jpg

that's great :1219:

Thanks, it was kinda funny to watch. Too bad I'm not one of those bird shooters with a super long lens -- had to crop these a lot.

Joe

Probably was attracted to his own reflections in the mirror.Cool capture.

Probably was attracted to his own reflections in the mirror.Cool capture.

Yep, I couldn't figure out if he was in love with himself or trying to kill himself.

Joe

Probably thought it was a rival and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go away. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

Very nicely captured!

Thanks, it was kinda funny to watch. Too bad I'm not one of those bird shooters with a super long lens -- had to crop these a lot.

Joe
naaa . It is good. I have never seen a bird do that. Seen them hit windows. Never a car mirror. You showed me something new. And that doesn't happen to often!

That's a pretty cool and funny. Nice capture.

Thanks, glad you liked that.

Joe

Funny, I had a sparrow about a week ago doing the exact same thing. I've seen them do it before a time or two, maybe three, before they give up. But I'd never seen one spend as long as this little sparrow doing.
Same as you described; it would fly right up into the mirror and flap away for a few seconds, land on the edge of the window and keep attacking the mirror; then suddenly fly off, either down to the ground near the car, or over to a branch of a nearby bush. It would sit for a minute then come right back at the mirror.
I was in my car (different car) about to leave for work when I noticed it. Didn't have my camera with me, and I was so close to it that I figured as soon as I tried to sneak out of the car to go GET the camera it would take off. I watched it for about five minutes before I left for work, as far as I know it was still giving that mirror what-for.

Glad you got pics of your cardinal doing that!

Funny, I had a sparrow about a week ago doing the exact same thing. I've seen them do it before a time or two, maybe three, before they give up. But I'd never seen one spend as long as this little sparrow doing.
Same as you described; it would fly right up into the mirror and flap away for a few seconds, land on the edge of the window and keep attacking the mirror; then suddenly fly off, either down to the ground near the car, or over to a branch of a nearby bush. It would sit for a minute then come right back at the mirror.
I was in my car (different car) about to leave for work when I noticed it. Didn't have my camera with me, and I was so close to it that I figured as soon as I tried to sneak out of the car to go GET the camera it would take off. I watched it for about five minutes before I left for work, as far as I know it was still giving that mirror what-for.

Glad you got pics of your cardinal doing that!

Apparently not too unusual. When I showed these to my wife she remembered years ago we had one of those gazing ball (mirror surface) yard ornaments and a cardinal showed up one day and spent an afternoon repeatedly flying at.

Joe

He's trying to chase off the "other male cardinal" that is encroaching on his territory.

Most reactions

Back