Bird studio

This might just be a case where a shoot through white umbrella does the job best. I have a somewhat similar 'bird studio' and found that the wide dispersion of the shoot through gave me the 'fill' look I wanted. Doesn't have to be a large diameter, but the flash should be as far back (or the umbrella as far forward) as you can get it on the stand.
Thanks for the tip. I don't have any light stands, or umbrellas though. My speed light was mounted on a tripod, with the mini diffuser on it (20cm). Maybe I can bounce the flash off something, will have to think about this. Or get a 2nd flash for the tree....

Here's what I suggest. This will all mount on your tripod or whatever, and be under $30 Not these items specifically but similar.
flash & umbrella holder
Useful Flash Shoe Mount Adapter Trigger Umbrella Holder Swivel Light Stand Hfus eBay
spigot stud
6in1 1 4 3 8 Screw 5 8 Spigot Stud Convert Adapter for Camera Tripod Stand eBay
shoot through
Neewer 28 inch Photography Studio Translucent Shoot Through White Umbrella Em 01 eBay

A STOFEN diffuser is also a versatile and handy little thing. (they come in all sizes for the various popular flashes)
Sto Fen Omni Bounce for The Canon 299 540EZ and 550EX Flashes Omez eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with the above suggestions.

The very dark background is fine the way it is, but what you need is more "wrap around" with the light. A larger diffuser (such as the white translucent umbrella) will help a lot. Also, you already mentioned a reflector, which does not need to be expensive. Try a fairly large white board or white poster board. Fix it opposite the lens axis from your flash. The birds will eventually get used to all that extra equipment, as long as it doesn't move.

I'd like to see them shot the same, but with the back ambient brought back in.
I agree, this was an experiment with the studio look. I'm having trouble with the flash setting to get the 'fill flash' look. I think my flash is too weak. Ideally I would need a 2nd flash for the background, as it is in a very shaded area. In this thread you can see my set-up
OCF at waterbath pic heavy Photography Forum

I think the flash exposure is pretty spot on.

so in the least you could just lower the SS to bring back in some background.

If you went from 1/200 to 1/100sec that would give you an extra stop on the ambient exposure, might bring up the tress in the back a bit so it's not just black.

I would be extremely happy with these shots.Very Nice.

I think the flash exposure is pretty spot on.

so in the least you could just lower the SS to bring back in some background.

If you went from 1/200 to 1/100sec that would give you an extra stop on the ambient exposure, might bring up the tress in the back a bit so it's not just black.

Yes, I opened the aperture and decreased the SS to 100, and it worked quite well. I will upload a few this evening when I get home.

opening the aperture would give you extra exposure on the brids (from both flash and ambient), so you'd want to lower the flash power at the same time to keep the exposure on the birds the same.

opening the aperture would give you extra exposure on the brids (from both flash and ambient), so you'd want to lower the flash power at the same time to keep the exposure on the birds the same.
Yes, reduced the flash power by half, or 3 quarters. Think they came out well.

Think my Flash was set to 1/4 strength here.
IMG_1010.jpg

Flash was 1/2, pity about the bright spot between the trees. The dove was quite skittish...
IMG_1043.jpg

did something similar with natural light:
Nice shot, but If I had natural light and a camera with your DR I would not have needed a flash :playful:

Well done !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back