Birds C&C

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all :) Thanks for taking a look at my thread.

Here are some bird shots that I'd love some input on.

This was shot through our window, there was a bunch of these guys on the roof. I like the lighting and DOF, unsure about the crop but when I cropped him closer it didn't work for me, too much bird somehow.
Shot settings:
F5.6
1/100
ISO640
IMG_9969.jpg

2 & 3 same bird two shots
I like both of these, wish they were a bit more sharp.
Shot settings:
F5.6
1/125
ISO160
IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

Love most everything about this shot. Was walking past the window and saw how the light was being caught on his face. I've been trying to avoid shooting the birds from this vantage point since I more often end up with light being caught in odd places in unflattering ways. This was an exception, I like how the light is caught on his face.
As usual struggled with composition with the over sized feeder.
Shot Settings:
F5.6
1/80
ISO500
IMG_2585.jpg

I like #2 but I'd crop off a little of the right and some of the left.

I like # 5 too but not the lighting. To me the shadow on its head is too dark. It sure looks like that bird's got attitude! Plus clone out the hair or window scratch above it.

I'm feelin #2&#3....they both look very Christmas cardish....very nice captures....and I agree about #5, a little too dark, but a nice shot!

First impressions:

#1. I would crop it so that the second bird is not in the picture. As it stands, the second bird is OOF and is thus a distraction from the main subject. I would crop it on the right about half way between the two birds and leave the negative space on the left for the bird to move into. Personally, I would crank the ISO up to 200 or even 400 to give me a better DOF so that all of the first bird is in focus. As far as placement goes, remember the rule of thirds.

#2/3. These are effectively the same shot, one is just a closeup of the first one, or a crop/different angle. Personally, I like #2 the best of these two - rule of thirds placement and negative space for the bird to look or move into. They are both a bit underexposed.

#4. This is a good image IMO, good bokeh, but a bit underexposed. Placing the bird in the exact centre is not the best (my opinion). I would have liked to see this in the right third of the image. This gives you some negative space for the bird to look into, particularly when its head is cocked so that it appears to be looking into the left part of the image.

My 0.02¢ worth, FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

I love the Cardinal! #2 is my favorite. I'd crop it mainly on the left.

#1 is the best of the bunch, I haven't even noticed the second bird until someone said it here, nice DOF
#2&3 nice one but the dry leaves on the top right corner and the bottom right feel distracting
#4 looks like the bird is OOF. And must have tried the flash to fill the light as the background is too bright.

Just my 2 paise. Ur mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

I like 2/3 the best. Damn I'll I get at my bird feeder is doves :(

I enjoy #4 the most. You can kinda guess what the bird is thinking. He looks like an old wise man to me, or maybe he's kinda sad. Either way I like it =)

I like #2 but I'd crop off a little of the right and some of the left.

I like # 5 too but not the lighting. To me the shadow on its head is too dark. It sure looks like that bird's got attitude! Plus clone out the hair or window scratch above it.
Thanks Dave, ah to crop and how... seems to be my nemesis right now, still have some learning to on it for sure! The hair/scratch is snow actually and didn't notice those till you pointed them out .. thanks!
I'm feelin #2&#3....they both look very Christmas cardish....very nice captures....and I agree about #5, a little too dark, but a nice shot!
Thanks Leo :)
First impressions:

#1. I would crop it so that the second bird is not in the picture. As it stands, the second bird is OOF and is thus a distraction from the main subject. I would crop it on the right about half way between the two birds and leave the negative space on the left for the bird to move into. Personally, I would crank the ISO up to 200 or even 400 to give me a better DOF so that all of the first bird is in focus. As far as placement goes, remember the rule of thirds.

#2/3. These are effectively the same shot, one is just a closeup of the first one, or a crop/different angle. Personally, I like #2 the best of these two - rule of thirds placement and negative space for the bird to look or move into. They are both a bit underexposed.

#4. This is a good image IMO, good bokeh, but a bit underexposed. Placing the bird in the exact centre is not the best (my opinion). I would have liked to see this in the right third of the image. This gives you some negative space for the bird to look into, particularly when its head is cocked so that it appears to be looking into the left part of the image.

My 0.02¢ worth, FWIW.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Heya WesternGuy, yup cropping ... ugh ... on #1 I actually had it cropped exactly how you described but went back and recropped to post for C&C.

As for the cropping and composition of #4, can't add space on the left in this image because the feeder sits on the railing beside the deck post... and I'm too stubborn (silly) and keep shooting birds at it knowing the limitations (and don't want to move it because it is perfect to watch the birds from inside)....

Having said that .. even given the option to have shifted the feeder/bird to the right and have space on the left I probably wouldn't have. While the bird's head is tilted and is pointed left he is actually looking straight down at the seeds to me so I still would have composed it this way. I'll def keep it in mind for future shots though, I easily fall into the "cropped too tight/too close" trap and that will help keep me out of it.

Underexposure, this is def something I am working on but at the same time I like things on the darker side (obv lol) I'm coming to realize that this is something I tend to pick out and like on some level. I knew for sure that 4 was underexposed but I was ok with it... on 2&3 it is much harder for me to determine it is underexposed on my own. I'm thinking perhaps I need to play with under/proper/over exposures more and find suitable shots to CHOOSE to underexpose to satisfy that need I seem to have for it lol

Now backing the truck up a bit here to #1 again .... up the ISO to effect DOF? .... I thought that ISO amplified the light but doesn't effect DOF (unless it is blowing out the background to an extent?) ... I also don't see where he is OOF, I see roof focused both in front and behind him also... am I missing something?
I love the Cardinal! #2 is my favorite. I'd crop it mainly on the left.
Thanks SeaGreen :)
#1 is the best of the bunch, I haven't even noticed the second bird until someone said it here, nice DOF
#2&3 nice one but the dry leaves on the top right corner and the bottom right feel distracting
#4 looks like the bird is OOF. And must have tried the flash to fill the light as the background is too bright.

Just my 2 paise. Ur mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum
Hey Hydkaran420, glad you like #1!
I'm on the fence about the pine needles in 2/3 but I def lean towards the crop that has less of them showing.
#4 .. nope no flash at all... maybe it is that the bird is under the awning and essentially in a shaded area so is a very different exposure to the trees behind him?
I like 2/3 the best. Damn I'll I get at my bird feeder is doves :(
Thanks Backward, what are you using for seed? I'm only using black oil seeds right now and get quite the variety of visitors.
Dito WesternGuy.

Great shots through a window, wana come clean ours?
Hey Ron :) thanks! and no thanks lol :p I have moooore than enough windows of my own to clean lol (whole south side of the house is windows for passive solar ;) )

Ricesim said:
I enjoy #4 the most. You can kinda guess what the bird is thinking. He looks like an old wise man to me, or maybe he's kinda sad. Either way I like it =)

Thanks Ricesim, I find him very " intense"

I like 2 and 3 also but would like to see some fill flash on the background. 4 was exposed for the background instead of the bird.

Hey Ph0enix, thanks for taking a look. All were shot through the window so I didn't even think of using a flash... not sure that I can in that situation? But def something to jot down in my notebook because I rarely think of the flash yet and I bet lots of my shots could benefit from it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back