birth photography anyone?

paigew

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.paigewilks.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wondering if any of you pros do birth photography? I had two home births and would have loved to have a professional there to document because lets face it, I was NOT thinking about photos while in labor :er:. I'd love to see your pics :mrgreen:.

In prep for homebirth #2 I drooled over several photographers websites but they were just too expensive!

I love love love the idea of birth photography - I adore that women are realizing what a beautiful and amazing process it really is. Documenting that is awesome! And while I haven't done any birth photography yet, I've done maternity and hope to one day get into it. And if I ever have kids myself - I already have in mind who will take the photos.

My only thing? I wouldn't want a stranger in the room while my legs are spread - so I wouldn't hire just any pro photographer to do this. Luckily, since I went to school with a ton of photographers, I have a ton of close friends who are pro photographers and unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury. But birth is a spiritual and personal thing, and the people who are in the room with you during that time should be close friends and have personal connections. Honestly, I'd wouldn't want to do birth photography for a stranger either - I would feel like I'm intruding (even if it IS my job.) Just in that instance, I feel it's SO private, that even having a photographer is a big choice. That's just me though!

I hope you find someone you care about who will do a wonderful job for you!

Correct me if I am wrong, but at home births---are these with the assistance of a physician? My 2 daughters were born in a hospital and we videotaped the birth of the first, but with the second one we opted for photos which I took myself.

In each case, the physicians limited what we could and could not videotape or photograph for personal liability purposes.

How is this done under those circumstances?

I'm so jealous of your homebirths!!!

I was very high risk, so I had to give birth in the hospital; unfortunately, said hospital has a no photo/video until after the baby is safely delivered policy. Had that not been the case, one of my good friends (who's amaaaazing) would have done it. Like PP said, I didn't want just anyone in there!

Do you have any close friends who are handy with a camera? You could always do the settings before the big moment, someone else just pushes the button. IF the person is unfamiliar with photography, maybe do a practice run through and go over things like angles and specific shots that you want (or don't want! lol).

ETA: Just realized you've already had the bebes. Still totes jealous of the homebirth though :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but at home births---are these with the assistance of a physician? My 2 daughters were born in a hospital and we videotaped the birth of the first, but with the second one we opted for photos which I took myself.

In each case, the physicians limited what we could and could not videotape or photograph for personal liability purposes.

It's usually a midwife.

I did :)

Not a job though. Just personal stuff. It was an underwater birth for/by a friend of my daughter, who happens to be a doula, and I knew her anyway because she and her boyfriend lived on a farm with my daughter and her boyfriend :)

But it was tough to get good shots because of all the people around the tub :lol:

no physician, just a (actually 2) certified midwifes. They don't care if you videotape or take photos. The reason why video isn't allowed in hospitals is for liability reasons. They don't want you coming back saying..."see...right there at 4.25 minutes in, THAT is where you messed up". :lol: Midwifes are wonderful amazing people. They know you so well, my midwife is pretty much like family now, and I wouldn't sue my family!

Yes, unfortunately my baby making/birthing days are over. And we didn't have the 3k to pay a birth photographer. But I would have loved it. The images I see are so amazing, full of raw emotion. What could be better than seeing the very moment you first laid eyes on your baby? Taken professionally?!

That would me my goal...to be good enough to take beautiful birth photos for my friends :)

I am sure it is hard work. I mean you have to be on call! Shoot in the dark, with a crazy yelling woman in labor :lol:. Just curious if anyone had done it :)

Ya know, the same friend I wanted to take the photos is expecting late-February. Maybe she'll want some photos of the birth... she's going to be at the same hospital I was, so nothing during the birth, but right after would still be super awesome :)

When my first child was born, a photographer friend came to shoot some photos. It ended up being a last minute C-section (after 30+ hours). We didn't get (or want) any photos of the labor or even the actual birth, but what we do have, is a bunch of great pics right after the birth. Since my wife was still in surgery/recovery, the photos are mostly of me holding my son, him getting measured & weighed, the family that was there etc.

I can't show them just now, they're up on my facebook, which I can't access from work.

Birth photography is my passion! I have photographed two birth so far, so home birth (water birth) and one hospital birth. Both beautiful :) Now it's not for everyone, but those that get it, love it :)

When my daughter was born, they pretty much gave me free rein with the camera. They even stopped a few times (c-section) to ask if I 'got that'. :lol:

When my son was born a few years later (same doctor and hospital), I couldn't take pictures at all.

I've done a couple of births, but neither were home births! Hospitals are sometimes pretty picky about that too...
I'll dig up a few for you...

Shooting a home birth would be amazing (in theory - I had a scheduled c-section with my son so I've technically never seen a natural birth) but I have to agree that it seems like such a personal experience to share with someone that you don't know. Maybe if the photographer knew the family well or had previous sessions. Seems like it would be an experience, for sure.

One of my closest friends is due in April with her first baby. She keeps asking... well, actually, telling me that I'm going to photograph her birth. We'll see what the hospital says about that, but I'm more excited to do her newborn photos.

In my case these are both my daughter-in-law... I never share client photos, so you're stuck with just these ones! There's a LOT more that I can't show you... But you get the idea from this. [video]http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=109615[/video]

...In each case, the physicians limited what we could and could not videotape or photograph for personal liability purposes...
Not meaning to derail the thread, but WTF????? The physician is scared that you'll record him doing something wrong - WHY wouldn't you send him/her packing and retain someone competent?

Most reactions

Back