Bistro 821 - Commercial Shoot; Would Like CC

burnws6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Very complicated shoot. The product itself, (the food) was perfect because we set up in another private room and had as much time as needed. Anything else, was done in a hurry due to time/the amount of customers/other. Although this was a paid shoot and I'm generally happy about how it turned out, I would appreciate any other comments or CC.

1.) I know I missed the sharpness off by a hair, which pisses me off because I really like this shot. But since they're going to be using a small resolution it makes no difference. Done with a hidden Bare SB-600 directly behind it.

_DSC0043copy.jpg

2.) Photo of the Chef. I told him the background was too busy and that he wouldn't stand out; but apparently the painting is a key point of the restaurant so I tried to rim light him as best as possible although the space I had was crap to do so.

_DSC0104copy.jpg

3.) Sushi. I like this shot. It's clean, it's yummy.

_DSC0135copy.jpg

4.) Ehh...a Steak

_DSC0167copy.jpg

Last edited:
A burger? It looks like a yummy steak.

1. I think the contrast split is way too big. The background/scene is too dark for my taste, and the bottle are a little too hot. Also, the big patches of specular/light source bokeh are really distracting and fight for attention.

2. You're right, the background is an awful mess. Not much you can do about that if that's what they wanted. But more over, I feel like the Chef's expression is super awkward. His smile is strange, and the off camera look just don't feel right. He doesn't really pull off the whole 'artistically looking off camera' thing. It looks a lot more like, you were about to take the photo and someone called his name. Also, with classes, turning the head like that puts the eyes on the edges of the glasses, which is also very awkward looking, because it's makes people facial geometry look all messed up since their eyes are no longer centered looking.

3 & 4. The lighting and styling look nice, but white the black background? I'm not really digging that. since it would be such an easy selection, I would consider clipping out the black, and replacing it with something else. For the burger shot, a thinner DOF would have been better I think.

1. I think the contrast split is way too big. The background/scene is too dark for my taste, and the bottle are a little too hot. Also, the big patches of specular/light source bokeh are really distracting and fight for attention.

2. You're right, the background is an awful mess. Not much you can do about that if that's what they wanted. But more over, I feel like the Chef's expression is super awkward. His smile is strange, and the off camera look just don't feel right. He doesn't really pull off the whole 'artistically looking off camera' thing. It looks a lot more like, you were about to take the photo and someone called his name. Also, with classes, turning the head like that puts the eyes on the edges of the glasses, which is also very awkward looking, because it's makes people facial geometry look all messed up since their eyes are no longer centered looking.

3 & 4. The lighting and styling look nice, but white the black background? I'm not really digging that. since it would be such an easy selection, I would consider clipping out the black, and replacing it with something else. For the burger shot, a thinner DOF would have been better I think.

Thanks, that's good stuff right there. Can you elaborate on the last part where you said white the black background? Do you mean, to change the black to a completely white background....if that's the case I tried it and felt to boring. No contrast.

I love the food shots, they look awesome!
I feel like I could reach through the monitor,
and snag a french fry off the plate.

I love the food shots, they look awesome!
I feel like I could reach through the monitor,
and snag a french fry off the plate.

Thanks! Thats good! That means the future customer will want to as well when they see it on their website!

Thanks, that's good stuff right there. Can you elaborate on the last part where you said white the black background? Do you mean, to change the black to a completely white background....if that's the case I tried it and felt to boring. No contrast.

Yeah, white was a thought, but I guess that would look pretty boring. Maybe another solid color? I don't really know. I think something like putting it on a table setting, or even just some some kind of surface with a nice texture/pattern, like wood floor, or bamboo matting would have looked really nice for the sushi. Just something besides plain black. I feel like even backing off of the black a little bit, just so it's not pure 0% black, would help.

Yeah, white was a thought, but I guess that would look pretty boring. Maybe another solid color? I don't really know. I think something like putting it on a table setting, or even just some some kind of surface with a nice texture/pattern, like wood floor, or bamboo matting would have looked really nice for the sushi. Just something besides plain black. I feel like even backing off of the black a little bit, just so it's not pure 0% black, would help.

I see what you're saying. Yeah, the options there were really crappy. So the best thing I could use was this ****ty mantel that would create contrast so I could darken it up in PS later. Besides that the mantel was a horrible background. But I know what you mean, thanks again man.

Curses!!! I hate these photos! they made me hungry! otherwise, great pictures =)

Definitely feeling the sushi/steak shots. Wasabi green background on the sushi would be tight. Or possibly the red sauce color if you want a warm tone.

Looks like the flash was too close or used without a diffuser on #2. Could tone down the highlights some.

Definitely not digging #2, and I agree with GeneralBenson's comments on it. As far as a paid photo, I guess it only matters if the customer is happy but if this was mine it would go straight to the recycle bin, if it even made off the camera. It's hard to say how you could have done it differently without seeing what it was like there, but I feel a more low key approach would have worked with the background lit dimly and the chef illuminated with a nice single softbox and possibly a rimlight. That way he would really stand out. As it is, he looks awful with his pose and the harsh lighting, and the fact that there is no seperation from the background really doesn't help things.

Wow, I have to disagree with most (all) people here.

#2 is absolutely beautiful and it is sad that you don't know it. You may want to remember that chefs are creative people too. They may not speak the exact same language you do but that doesn't mean much. They are creators. At least, the good ones, lol, and I believe you've got one of those here.

This photo works incredibly nicely. He melts into the background without really melting into it. His strange smile makes him fit with the strange characters in the background. Come on people, get creative. You are not going to make it as photogs if you can't get a bit weirder.

The other photos are crap compared to this one. And it is sad that you don't know it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back