Bit depth?

A cage match sounds good. I just hope we outnumber the JPEG users :)

There's no reason really to archive in 16bit formats unless you are planning on re-editing later. High bit displays with insane contrast ratios do not translate to printing images anyway, and if you're into HDR stuff 16bits isn't enough anyway.

Keep the process high bitrate, save your PDFs TIFFs or what not while your working with them (I have had a working 1.6gb file before), and when your totally finished dump the result to a JPEG with 100% compression, but ONLY when you're finished. I've shown in another thread that JPEG re-compression is a horrid process which causes artefacts even at 100% after only 5 edits.

JPEGGERS MUST DIEEEEE!!!! :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown: :lol:

(just kidding) <chuckle>

There's no reason really to archive in 16bit formats unless you are planning on re-editing later. High bit displays with insane contrast ratios do not translate to printing images anyway, and if you're into HDR stuff 16bits isn't enough anyway.

Keep the process high bitrate, save your PDFs TIFFs or what not while your working with them (I have had a working 1.6gb file before), and when your totally finished dump the result to a JPEG with 100% compression, but ONLY when you're finished. I've shown in another thread that JPEG re-compression is a horrid process which causes artefacts even at 100% after only 5 edits.

Yeah I think that's kind of where I'm leaning now. I was thinking on the way in to work this morning "Honestly, there are maybe one in every 100 shots that I take that I would ever bother to want to print in any high-quality way anyway..." Most of the pics I have are of my kids and just whatever I happen to come across, and most of the rest are pictures of really unexciting buildings for my clients.

...of course I'm sure my wife would be proud to have a big 20x30 picture of the Sheraton hanging on our family room wall. :lol:

We do. But I reserve the right to defend punk rock - whoops, I mean jpeg use - as a legitimate format! ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back