Biting the bullet (1st post)

taraj_00

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've introduced myself, but other than a few replies here and there, I'm new to posting!

Here are a few shots--- I'm still trying to figure out composition, and I play around with some post processing, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing there either!

Hopefully I'll learn here, but I guess if I don't share anything, I'm not gaining much, so here goes...

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

Well from a noob (and sitting on the deck with the sun half on the laptops monitor) they both look like they have good comp and color. The first looks like the dof is a little harsh for my taste. The second one I like a lot. looks like focus and everything is done well... Do you have the camera settings for the first?

#1 is out of focus. It also has harsh lighting (popup flash?) and would have worked better in portrait orientation. Also, the expression is not particularly endearing.

#2 - too much saturation in the wood, and the gull looks a bit soft, kind of like its been 'liquefied' in PS. The compositon is not bad but would have worked better if the gull was facing the ohter way - ie looking into the frame.

I agree with Fokker. Focus is my biggest gripe with both of them. Learn how to minimize camera shake when shooting handheld or use a tripod. It is good you are learning composition, but learn how to focus better before diving too much into post processing. Not trying to sound harsh, just being straightforward. The compositions are ok, but you cut the top of the babys head off. Try cropping the seagull closer to a "Rule of Thirds" composition. Hope this helps.

I agree with Fokker. Focus is my biggest gripe with both of them. Learn how to minimize camera shake when shooting handheld or use a tripod. It is good you are learning composition, but learn how to focus better before diving too much into post processing. Not trying to sound harsh, just being straightforward. The compositions are ok, but you cut the top of the babys head off. Try cropping the seagull closer to a "Rule of Thirds" composition. Hope this helps.

+1 on both of them.

Just want to add to the seagull cropping. You want the subject face into the other two thirds of the picture.

+2? or is it 1? haha

Thanks! I do think the depth of field on the first was way to shallow, but, until I get the baby still and happy again, it's what I have LOL!

Focus is my biggest issue usually, too. I'm sure most of it is just that I don't practice enough, and I'm quick to just give up rather than get the tripod out when the lighting is bad in the house (most of the time). I had the SB-600 on with the baby pictures, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the best results from that either. Appreciate the feedback- reinforces my thinking that I should be taking more pictures in order to work out issues.

The baby looks overexposed, too little Depth of Field for sharp focus; composition is OK, focus is OK but focus is very shallow, needs D o F

The gull composition is OK - you are teklling the story of the gull in stormy weather (as does the sky, the seas / foam) - a strong wind; putting the gull looking out to see by moving him to the left (as one comment said) changes the subject, the Point of View, the story. It does not seem to be in focus (see the beam he is on) - I tried a strong sharpen filter (TWICE!) and got it so it may be the image processing is losing detail

If your camera has RAW capabilities you might try redoing the image from the RAW image and sharpen thst before saving the jpg

The DoF in #1 is fine. As long as you get the eyes tack sharp, a little softness isn't bad. Try using a difuser for your flash. Pay attention to your backgrounds. I figure your just shootin' for the moment and not really "planning" portrait shots. But yucky backgrounds are bothersome. I kinda like this expression. I wish the eyes were in focus, and your flash was toned down.

The head and tail look sharp on the gull. The softness I see look like its from the wind and adds to the story. Here I think it makes sense the direction it is facing (into the wind). I love the blurred shored line/buildings.

You are right with the baby... sometimes I just get what I get when she's in a good mood!

The gull was, unfortunately, uncooperative and didn't want to turn that day. I could have composed so that he was looking out onto the Gulf, but wanted the buildings back there, so I made that choice.

I do appreciate the critique! Makes me think :D

I think the gull pic is good. I like the way it is looking out into the ocean. I agree with Bitter Jeweler ^it adds to the story.

I have to agree the focus is off on these. On the first, the baby's head is cropped and try to not have the face in the middle of the photo... off to the right or left a bit. When starting out taking photos of people, natural lighting is your best friend. If you need to shoot in the house, use some window lighting. Otherwise, shooting outside is a good idea... on an overcast day to avoid any harsh lighting.

And as said before, its too bad the seagull wasn't facing into the picture. Not a bad photo though. A bit soft but exposure is good.

I agree with what most people have said about the first picture. I personally love the expression..but the lighting seems harsh.

The second one I personally love! It does seem a slight bit of focus, almost soft looking, but as far as the composition I really like it.

I find the baby's expression interesting - endearing no, but it's not what I'd expect for a baby pic and frankly, cute smiling babies are a dime a dozen.

Were the eyes saturated in PS? the color seems to stand out a lot, but with no detail. Like everyone said, focus focus focus.

Most reactions

Back