Bitter advice, 3 pics

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a chance on Saturday to implement some good advice, didnt work out all that well lighting wise, but here are 3 I like for various reasons.

The advice was to include the entire subject when you can. The subect in 2 of them are people kitesurfing, distance from surfer to kite is about 20m (60 feet), so I have a few options.

1. Shoot long, include background setting.
2. Shoot wide, would need to be in the water for the best angles.
3. Use whatever combination available and wait for the scene to compose itself, ie: not side on.
4. thru infinity, keep all options open and experiment.

1. 2 kitesurfers in one shot, almost went with selective colour, but found a combination of full colour for the kites and a mild desaturation of the scene set the mood I was aiming for.
5006504750_a29a3084b0_b.jpg

2. Windsurfer shot, isolated with the use of the 300mm, side effect is that it compresses the foreground and background together. The first tree line is about 2km from my shooting position (sitting in my car, lol). Poles "hopefully" add framing to the shot.

5005891565_5ac8b57468_b.jpg

3. Cut lines. I like the lines in this one and the oh wait a moment effect when you click on to the kite being unrelated to the person in frame.

5005893179_3a2efdf9bb_z.jpg

Flickr strikes again with its sharpening, will have to go back to my original host.

Any feedback appreciated.

Last edited:
(Pssst,
1.gif
, could it be that you still can't count? 1, 2, 4??? :scratch: )

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

:biggrin:

I really like the first including the pp you gave that one!

Haha yeah I dont know whats up with that, I made another mistake today when I was experimenting with HDR, I had set my ISO to 1600 to get shutter speed up to compose a couple shots, and totally forgot!!!

I never forget to check stuff like that...doh.

Corrected thanks ;)

Where are you in NZ?
Wind was iffy here in CHCH :(

I think getting the kite in the pic is a good move, I like 1 the most, shame it's quite dark.

I really want to get some shots with my camera, only 3 weeks to go

I like the first one, nice composition and good choice with selective saturation. I'm too distracted in the second by the oof poles in the foreground and there's no real feel of movement. The third does need the kite in shot and the guy is effectively standing in the water flying a kite rather than kitesurfing, so maybe not the best timing.

1- I too like this one the best.
2- as stated above, the "oof poles" need to be cropped out.
3- With your target being the lines attached to the kite and not the other kite, i would simply crop top and bottom to tighten the shot and still keep the rules of 2/3.

1. I like this one the best, but I'm going to go against the crowd and say that the selective de-saturation is a bit of a distraction. My eyes are drawn right to the kites, which pull my eyes directly out of the frame since they are on the top, and the kite on the right is almost out of the frame. My eyes are out of the frame before I realize, "Hmm, I didn't even look at the rest of the shot." This could be personal preference, so take with a grain of salt. Keep in mind that anytime you do selective anything to a shot, your eyes are drawn to whatever stands out. I can understand the mood you were trying to create here, but I'm not completely sure it works. Maybe try again, but with less de-saturation? Just some suggestions. Other than that, I actually really like the shot.

2. Again, I'm going to go against what others have said. I don't think the poles should be cropped out. They provide a bit of framing to help us focus on the subject, and give some interest in the frame. With them cropped out, all you have left is a windsurfer on the water...not very interesting. My suggestion, if you have the opportunity for a re-shoot, and if it's possible, is to stop down as much as possible and try to get the poles in focus, along with the surfer. I'm not sure if this would even work, but it would be interesting to see.

3. I just don't like the composition on this one. It's confusing to the eyes. I understand what you said about it, kind of giving a "Eureka!" type moment, but I'm not sure it works here. I think it would have been stronger to the that particular surfer's kite in the frame.

Most reactions

Back