Black and white digital question

stevesuger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello everyone this is my first post, the site looks good, i'm looking forward to spending some time here.

my question is about black and white over colour, in digital photography. in analogue photography there is more clarity from the photo when using b/w film.

is this also true for digital, is it better to take a digital photo in b/w or is it the same to take the colour out in the processing of the photo?

steve

Shoot in RAW. Convert to black and white during post-processing. It's your only option for good black and white digital shots.

Shoot in RAW. Convert to black and white during post-processing. It's your only option for good black and white digital shots.

cool thanks, so there is no point in me shoting actaully in b/w?

no. the quality is exactly the same/ if not worse....since you're doing it all on a camera as opposed to a computer. Shoot RAW and change them on your computer.

The quality is almost always worse because the camera is doing the conversion. The first step in many digital photographers' black and white workflows is not converting the image to black and white (as odd as that may sound).

I think many of you are missing the main benefit. Some cameras have wonderful internal processors, BUT. If you have an original colour image as part of the black and white conversion you can weight each of the colours for the final output. This is the same as owning an entire collection of red blue green yellow etc colour filters. E.g. you can make a red filtered conversion by simply using the red channel in the image and discarding the rest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back