Black and white flash photograhy

oscarbellville

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi there,
i would really appreciate some advice. I am taking photos at a party next week and have just bought myself an olympus om 2 camera with a flash gun. i want to use this in conjunction with my digital camera, to take some cool b&w photos. in the past i have used the fuji neopan 1600 film as i love the high contrast you get out of it. Can i use this in the same way with a flash? whats the best film to use and the best technique to get high levels of contrast in flash photography?
any advice would be really helpful!
thanks,
Oscar

hi there,
i would really appreciate some advice. I am taking photos at a party next week and have just bought myself an olympus om 2 camera with a flash gun. i want to use this in conjunction with my digital camera, to take some cool b&w photos. in the past i have used the fuji neopan 1600 film as i love the high contrast you get out of it. Can i use this in the same way with a flash? whats the best film to use and the best technique to get high levels of contrast in flash photography?
any advice would be really helpful!
thanks,
Oscar

The Neopan 1600 should work very well. You may want to rate it @ 1250. It's an excellent film.

Kiron Kid

You might want to try not using the flash on it's full output when shooting 1600 speed film. You may, in fact, be fine shooting the straight 1600 speed with OUT the flash. Depending on the lighting of the party. Pushing to 3200 isn't a bad idea either, if you can tolerate the noise. However, if you'd like to use the flash, I suggest a much, much slower film. Try Neopan Acros 100, if you're a Fuji guy. Or even try Neopan 400 pulled at 200. You could use it at 400, and stop down to a deep DOF, but I, personally am a bokeh fan when it comes to pictures of people.

You might want to try not using the flash on it's full output when shooting 1600 speed film. You may, in fact, be fine shooting the straight 1600 speed with OUT the flash. Depending on the lighting of the party. Pushing to 3200 isn't a bad idea either, if you can tolerate the noise. However, if you'd like to use the flash, I suggest a much, much slower film. Try Neopan Acros 100, if you're a Fuji guy. Or even try Neopan 400 pulled at 200. You could use it at 400, and stop down to a deep DOF, but I, personally am a bokeh fan when it comes to pictures of people.

Ok, I feel like a complete noob asking this, but, what exactly are "stops"? Do you mean the f-stop?

:(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back