Black and White Photography filters.

Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a Cokin P holder...go for it.

Are you planing to use them with b&w film? If you are shooting digital, you should be able to replicate the effects of the filters with Photoshop.

I dont like doing that, I prefere to shoot with the filters attached, and yeah I do have a P cokin holder :D thanks for the advice!

If you are using digital...I don't know if color filters will work the same as when shooting b&w film because you are shooting in color and converting later...aren't you?

I'd like to know if it does work, somebody around here must know...

I was thinking the same thing, but if not, I could hack my 300D and allow it to shoot Black and White, although I do also shoot Black and White film

If you are going to use film as well. Go for it. You can always test it out on your digital too.

But if you are going to bother shooting b&w with your digital...everyone will probably tell you to just convert afterward. It just makes more sense.

It should work with digital shouldn't it? After all, all the ccd is doing is recording what's going through the lens. Just as film does. I can't see why it would record it any differently in this situation.

It's not the recording of the image but the conversion to b&w that I'm unsure of...lets say you use a red filter. Your image will be very red.

What I don't know is... if you convert a red tinged image to b&w...will you get the same dramatic effect that you do when you shoot b&w film with a red filter?

id think it would work if you set the cam to black and white, but generally nobody likes to use in camera black and white because it is a better option to shoot color and then make that perfect B&W shot :)

If you set the camera to shoot in b/w it will still shoot in color and convert the data to b/w.

Big Mike said:
It's not the recording of the image but the conversion to b&w that I'm unsure of...lets say you use a red filter. Your image will be very red.

What I don't know is... if you convert a red tinged image to b&w...will you get the same dramatic effect that you do when you shoot b&w film with a red filter?
I have nothing more than most basic of basic understanding with regards to B&W. But doesn't it just record different shades of grey? So using a red filter with B&W enhances the red shades on the final B&W print. Why wouldn't turning a coloured image with enhanced red into B&W give you the same results? Obviously it would be slightly different, just like different makes of B&W film will be slightly different from one another.

If we all weren't so lazy we could test this in photoshop. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back