black and white photos

kodakan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello guys, Any tips converting photos to black & white? Below are my attempts using photoshop. For the picture with the hydrant, I moved the saturation slider all the way to the left to remove the colors. Is there a better way to do that? I thought both photos are a bit bland. Appreciate any advice.

solvang283.jpg

hydrant2.jpg

my pics are ok to edit

I believe the look you are going for in these photographs is usually termed Selective Color. If you search for that in Youtube, you'll find a slew of videos showing you how to do this. Seems like your doing alright yourself though, but if you want more insight into techniques, then Youtube would do a better job than any text response.

Hope this helps,

Steve M.

I'm definitely not the one to critique, but from my new perspective to photography it looks pretty good in my opinion.

I was looking to get some constructive criticism as I felt it could be improved. But I'll take the compliments! ;) thanks

I like doing my BW conversions in Adobe Camcera Raw.

not really a fan of selective coloring, but good angels

Where are these angels you speak of?!

OP:

#1 would be a winner if the post wasn't coming out of his head, but I like the "thought" emotion you can see on his face.

I'm not awake enough to give critique on #2, not sure what would make it better. Off the top of my head, I'm not a fan of the selective coloring, but I like that you're trying it. Selective coloring is like adding vignetting, sometimes it works, others it doesn't.

Most reactions

Back