Black and White

robotfood15

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Canon XTI and I wanted to get your advice on how to shoot black and white pictures. Should I use the camera preset monochrome setting or should shoot in color and then convert it to black in white in post process? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the 2 methods? Thanks.

i'm not very experienced with all this but from playing around with my camera I've had much better results shooting color and converting it than using the preset.

I'm sure others would disagree but I also prefer converting it because I like to compare the color and B&W versions on screen to decide which of them I like better. It just seems you have more options that way.

I'm sure others would disagree but I also prefer converting it because I like to compare the color and B&W versions on screen to decide which of them I like better. It just seems you have more options that way.

Agreed...plus I believe that this way you can adjust the B&W settings a little better. I never shoot in black & white with the camera.

I recently purchased a Canon XTI and I wanted to get your advice on how to shoot black and white pictures. Should I use the camera preset monochrome setting or should shoot in color and then convert it to black in white in post process? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to the 2 methods? Thanks.

Shoot in color and use this neat free plug-in. It works better than any other I've tried at making your images pop in black and white.

http://photocamel.com/forum/moderat...free-photoshop-plugin-photocamel-members.html

Funny, I was going to post this question tonight! So I decided to post one about aperture and iso instead. So, really, just turn it black and white later?? I figured there must be some picture quality or SOMETHING gained by shooting B & W.....hmmm

Most reactions

Back