Black Bear.... pic heavy

mgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These pictures are far from my best, I had the wrong lens on my camera, I was shaking, I was sitting in my Jeep with the window down, my foot on the brake, and the vehicle in gear. This bear was literally about 15 feet from my window!

Was the bear actually eating those green cones??? It looks that way!

Aww. Bruno looks rather young; I wonder where mama was.
I like these. I would consider cropping a few of them in portrait orientation.

very nice, watch out of mama bear lol..

You used the right lens, it was the one you had... Nice shots, I agree about changing a couple to portraits

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Was the bear actually eating those green cones??? It looks that way!
He was eating the cones! They are from a Pinyon pine. He has good taste! Those things are delicious!

Thank you guys! He was small, probably around 15o-200lbs, and young. That being said, our bears don't get very big, so he was probably old enough to be on his own. It was the most amazing animal experience I have ever had!

I will try to crop a couple in Portrait, and see how they come out!!

You got some nice pictures, very nice series. But once you enlarge and crop then it's obvious where's there's a little blur (which is how it can be if you're getting shots fast and trying to keep still enough, etc.).

Slow down and take your time to think about each picture individually. These are cropped down more than necessary and eliminates the interesting background that gives a frame of reference as to where the bear is and what it's doing.

I can see with each picture how I'd try cropping and for each one I see a different way to crop. There's an interesting pattern of branches that almost looks like a cross, I'd think about which pictures would I want to keep that in? which ones have less interesting background that might be better cropped down more?

I'm a film photographer (as well as digital) so I'm used to getting what I want in camera most of the time. But when I do crop, I often do a 1st crop that's fairly slight, save that, do a 2nd crop, save that, go back and look at them (sometimes come back later and look again) to decide which looks best.

Your pictures are good, don't chop the heck out of them! it's a matter of thinking about the amount of space around the subject, noticing the background, and thinking about the balance of the composition. You have something good here, take your time with it.

Thank you Sharon. I wasn't really ready for this opportunity so, I didn't take the quality of photos I normally do, nor did I pay as close attention to the details as normal. I did the crops as a trial, but I personally like them better before the crops. I should have slowed down, you are absolutely right, but my adrenaline was pumping, lol!

Super! Much cleaner looking, love them!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I really like #2 (cropped).
Are many (all / most) of the black bears, there, the lighter phase/brown coloration?. Any one I've seen in the east has been black.

I really like #2 (cropped).
Are many (all / most) of the black bears, there, the lighter phase/brown coloration?. Any one I've seen in the east has been black.

Yes, most of our bears are a lighter color, we even have blond and cinnamon colored black bears here. We do have true black colored bears, but the are more rare.

Most reactions

Back