Black Distortion Around Edge of RAW Images

SolidBrowser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every 5-10 photos I take with my new Fuji XT3 camera in RAW, I discover unsettling bars of black located at the top of the image which distorted and skews the edges.

I was wondering if there is an in camera setting to get rid of this, software update, or just a defective camera?

Imgur

What is the cause of this?

Thanks,

Any chance this is some sort of auto pano mode? Is this the full image or just a crop of the top 1/4?

Every 5-10 photos I take with my new Fuji XT3 camera in RAW, I discover unsettling bars of black located at the top of the image which distorted and skews the edges.

I was wondering if there is an in camera setting to get rid of this, software update, or just a defective camera?

Imgur

What is the cause of this?

Thanks,

What software did you use to process the RAF file? Create a free Dropbox account and post the RAF file (link back here) and I'll be able to tell you what's going on. I suspect your processing software is at fault and is not applying the lens corrections.

Joe

Fuji_Distortion - Google Drive
Here is the RAW file.
It seems like there is no artifacts on the RAW file when I see it in Google Docs.
As you can see, when I open it in Affinity Photo, the image shows the distortion.

I guess this is something that the software side is responsible for.
In that case, what would be the best option moving forward?

What kind of software allows me to view, edit and publish RAF files from Fuji that doesn't have this problem.

Any chance this is some sort of auto pano mode? Is this the full image or just a crop of the top 1/4?
I just cropped the photo to show you the black distortion.
For privacy issues, I cropped the person out.

Fuji_Distortion - Google Drive
Here is the RAW file.
It seems like there is no artifacts on the RAW file when I see it in Google Docs.
As you can see, when I open it in Affinity Photo, the image shows the distortion.

I guess this is something that the software side is responsible for.
In that case, what would be the best option moving forward?

What kind of software allows me to view, edit and publish RAF files from Fuji that doesn't have this problem.

Yep, it's Affinity. Here's your photo processed through SilkyPix and as you can see no black on the edges:

bucolic.jpg

Affinity is not applying any lens corrections when it demosaices the raw file. Fuji is doing what all of them do now -- a little corner cutting. It's major cheaper to design and build a lens with a little distortion left uncorrected. Software can pick up the balance and no harm no foul. To do this there has to be a little working room out on the image's edges to accommodate for the applied corrections.

When you saw the above image in Affinity and saw the black edge you should have noticed that it was slightly curved. That was barrel distortion in your lens. Fuji places lens correction data in the raw file and the processing software can read it and apply it and then you don't see the edge problem. Affinity is also cutting corners.

Fuji just entered into a partnership with Phase One and as a result you are entitled to download free of charge a Fuji specific copy of Capture One Express. I'd be doing that right about now if I was you.

Joe

Hmm, funny you mention Capture One Express (free for Sony also) ... I just launched that to compare PP with an image I did in Light Room, and interesting enough Capture One did a better rough job with my Sony raw file, especially with noise reduction and sharpening.

As Joe stated ... @SolidBrowser, you should give it a try.

Hmm, funny you mention Capture One Express (free for Sony also) ... I just launched that to compare PP with an image I did in Light Room, and interesting enough Capture One did a better rough job with my Sony raw file, especially with noise reduction and sharpening.

As Joe stated ... @SolidBrowser, you should give it a try.

Was it a compressed or uncompressed raw file?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

For privacy issues, I cropped the person out.
Take a look at the first photo in that folder (entitled "Artifacts.png"). You may want to go back and further crop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back