Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p736350909-5.jpg

I like the fact that you used B&W. Brings back memories of the 60's marches.

An interesting thing happened around this picture. I snapped several shots and the man moved a bit to face me so I went up to him afterwards to thank him. He was big and really intimidating but we spoke a few words and he asked whether I was a pro. I said no, that I was just an avid amateur freezing my behind off and then I asked him what he did. He said he was a retired correctional officer and he named the prison where I volunteer teach.
We spoke about the place for a just a bit, then he gave me a big hug and thanked me for coming.

in re: B&W was almost a necessity, color just took away any impact.

Rather strong image. With a merit.

Nice composition; the arrow works well.

Lots to like about an unposed, photojournalistic piece of work. The arrow--Tirediron is right--pretty darn effective. The B&W...makes a powerful statement about the story in the photo. I think I'd crop this a bit to eliminate some of the visual clutter to the sides (it's a sparse crowd, urban environment with distractions) and focus on the subject, sign and top of the arrow).

Lew, let me be blunt--this is something that any good newspaper would run as a photo for a lead story on the front page. This single picture tells a story visually, it tells it with symbolism and power. It's not a "great" photo but it's a very effective journalist photo.

I like it, good street photography and too me the stuff around it adds to it it somehow, without might be good too but I dont think thats a must. People are so afraid of clutter but its life and it can add to a general feel of what youre subject is.

Thank you all for looking and taking the time to comment.

"The man did turn about 20 degrees to face me but that's as posed as it got."

Coming back to this image after a while, it strikes me as very symbolic, in that the man is standing at what appears to be a merging lane. "We're still trying to merge - we haven't got to the main lanes yet." Which is what the point of the sign is. I didn't get that idea at first viewing, but after coming back to it again, and again, this meaning started to emerge. Powerful stuff, Lew.

Strong image with a great story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back