Black&White Challenge: trompe l'œil in photography

gk fotografie

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Welcome!

This summer there will be a total of 3 special summer editions of the Black&White Challenge, each lasting approximately one month instead of 14 days.

This challenge is a fun thing, no competition and no prizes, it's all about learning to 'see, think and create' in black and white, not just randomly converting color photos. Every digital photographer and film photographer can participate with as many photos as desired during each challenge.

Last edited:
TriX, Rodinal +100, semi stand, Holga with magnifying glass

TriXRodStand+100 Holga.jpg

Interesting, your use of trompe l'œil is a bit different from the 'deceive the eye' usage with which I'm more familiar. I've seen it more referring to paintings which are so photorealistic that the eye is deceived into thinking the two dimensional work is three dimensional. Examples I've seen are often artworks on buildings that cause the viewer to think what has been painted is actually there in all dimensions, like a window with a person leaning out, or an awning that seems to be giving shade.

This will be an interesting challenge.

Interesting, your use of trompe l'œil is a bit different from the 'deceive the eye' usage with which I'm more familiar. I've seen it more referring to paintings which are so photorealistic that the eye is deceived into thinking the two dimensional work is three dimensional. Examples I've seen are often artworks on buildings that cause the viewer to think what has been painted is actually there in all dimensions, like a window with a person leaning out, or an awning that seems to be giving shade.

This will be an interesting challenge.

I am just using the french idea.. deceive the eye.... I think both of these images do that because of how I developed them...In rodinal and stand developed. Rodinal really gets after the edge of the grain and can make things look like charcoal drawings... deceive the eye

I am just using the french idea.. deceive the eye.... I think both of these images do that because of how I developed them...In rodinal and stand developed. Rodinal really gets after the edge of the grain and can make things look like charcoal drawings... deceive the eye
Sorry jc, I was thinking of Gerard's usage of trompe l'œil in his explanation paragraph, not at all thinking of your really cool images! But since my comment came directly after your photos, I should have inferred that my comment might be construed as being directed toward them.

Sorry jc, I was thinking of Gerard's usage of trompe l'œil in his explanation paragraph, not at all thinking of your really cool images! But since my comment came directly after your photos, I should have inferred that my comment might be construed as being directed toward them.

Oh, no worries, I just was trying to deceive the eye in a photographic way by. May not even be right, just my way. Curious to see what others do.

Most reactions

Back