Black&White Challenge: anyone interested in a new challenge every other week?

gk fotografie

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Perform a specific theme in Black & White every 2 weeks. An ongoing challenge for digital shooters AND film shooters. The starting point of this challenge is learning to "see, think and design" in B&W and not just converting color photos into black and white ...

Who wants to participate?

Hey as long as its for everyone..
Ill do what I can.

Black and white only? Or are the other 254 shades of gray allowed? :fangs:

I’m in

Sounds fun and beneficial! I'm in for sporadic participation with varied enthusiasm.

Soooo.. will this be similar to the weekly photo challenges? Can there be a dedicated sub forum, or where will they be posted? I want to make sure I don’t miss them

Perform a specific theme in Black & White every 2 weeks. An ongoing challenge for digital shooters AND film shooters. The starting point of this challenge is learning to "see, think and design" in B&W and not just converting color photos into black and white ...

Who wants to participate?
Great idea.

Wow...nice, enthusiastic reactions!

I'm thinking of a challenge with a theme every 2 weeks (a theme that is well suited to work out in black & white) with annually a total of 20 themes, including 5 themes suggested by members.

In fact: in the summer there will be 1 theme per 4 weeks (instead of 2 weeks) and there will be no challenge by the end of the year, because everyone is too busy with other matters.

This B&W Challenge is going to be a fun thing, no competition, no prizes, but hopefully a lot of learning, experimenting and also experiencing how others approach a theme, everyone can participate - digital photographers and film photographers - with as many photos as desired during each B&W Challenge, as long as they are NOT color photos!

The starting point is, of course, that everyone intends to photograph intensively for every theme, with every challenge I'll state what the first, subsequent theme will be. So, ultimately, everyone can work on themes a few weeks in advance, if they wish!

(*edit* Because each edition also includes the following, new theme for the next challenge, extra time is created to work on themes, so, the possibility of eventually using images from your own archive for the B&W Challenge is removed)

Just start next week and see how it all continues, I think!

Last edited:
Soooo.. will this be similar to the weekly photo challenges? Can there be a dedicated sub forum, or where will they be posted? I want to make sure I don’t miss them

Yes, in the way of the weekly photo challenge....but without links to all sorts of websites, examples etc., well, some pointers from time to time with certain themes seems useful.

I think the current location "Photo Assignments & Technical Challenges" is perfect for the B&W Challenge. (If you are looking to sharpen your technical skills, or just enjoy participating in group assignments - this is the place for you!) Whether this will (ever) become a sub-forum, is not up to me to decide, but first see if this challenge can get off the ground in 2020!!

I'm in. Two weeks may be a bit tight for film going on my previous experience.

I understand that just taking pictures to fill the roll is an expensive affair and processing also takes quite some time. I believe I've found a solution and this can also help others, with every challenge I'll state what the first, subsequent theme will be. So, ultimately, everyone can work on themes a few weeks in advance, if they wish. It would be nice to see some film photographers join this challenge.

[/QUOTE]
I understand that just taking pictures to fill the roll is an expensive affair and processing also takes quite some time. I believe I've found a solution and this can also help others, with every challenge I'll state what the first, subsequent theme will be. So, ultimately, everyone can work on themes a few weeks in advance, if they wish. It would be nice to see some film photographers join this challenge.[/QUOTE]

This would be helpful. Film shooters would not only have the extra time required but they could work on both themes at once. I myself would prefer if possible to shoot new stuff for a challenge rather than use files as that's what it's all about.

Most reactions

Back