Black & white Digital pictures

Sunnybird

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
HI there,

I'm a total newbie to this forum but so far it looks great and there are loads of really good tip / advice for everything photography related, whether you're very experienced or a beginner (like me!!).

I have a questions about black and white digital photos. I have a digital camera with a memory card. I take pictures in colour but have recently been wondering if I can take black and white photos too. Does anyone know if I can?! I love black and white but always assumed I was limited to colour shots with them - I hope someone can prove me wrong!!

Kind regards,

Sunnybird :wink:

It depends on each camera. I'd check the instruction book that came with the camera.

You will however have more control if you convert the image to black and white in programs like Photoshop, Gimp etc.

Welcome to TPF! :)

I prefer to change them to B&W after taking them in colour, that way I can have a colour copy as well, see which looks best.

There are many ways to turn a color image into b&w, but a lot of people here prefer the channel mixer. Try doing a search either here or on Google for that. You should find some good info.

many digital point and shoot as well as slr's will have built in "filters" where you can convert the image to b/w, sepia, etc in camera. However, as stated above, you have far greater control over the outcome if you take the image and convert it yourself in a photo editing software like photoshop or GIMP or similar program.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes guys - am very happy I joined this forum!

I had my suspicions that it was possible to change colour images to black and white using a programme like Photoshop. I'll have to have a go (although I've never used Photoshop in that capacity before!!). What's GIMP? Is that a similar programme to Photoshop? If so, which one is better?!

photo_gal - I have an Olympus SP-350 if that means anything to you?! What kind of camera do you have? And can you only shoot in black and white?!

Markc - Is channel mixer a programme like Photoshop?

Sorry about all the questions! As you can tell, I'm very much still an amateur!

The GIMP is a freeware program like photoshop, but not as quite as full featured. You might like it better, and it IS free, so keep that in mind.

The Channel Mixer is a feature in photoshop. There is probably something similar in GIMP.

Thank you Digital Mat for that info!!

I have non-photography related question - how do I update my profile and add more details to it?! Hee hee....you can just tell that I'm so new can't ya!!!

Sunnybird said:
Thank you Digital Mat for that info!!

I have non-photography related question - how do I update my profile and add more details to it?! Hee hee....you can just tell that I'm so new can't ya!!!

Just click the "User CP" link in the links bar at the top of any page. :)

And remember, google is your friend for lots of photography-related stuff. You might want to do a search on "digital B&W conversion" or similar. You'll find lots of great stuff :)

Sunnybird said:
[...] I have a questions about black and white digital photos. I have a digital camera with a memory card. I take pictures in colour but have recently been wondering if I can take black and white photos too. Does anyone know if I can?! I love black and white but always assumed I was limited to colour shots with them - I hope someone can prove me wrong!!

A DSLR like the Canon Rebel XT (350D) has a parameter setting for B&W. This setting allows you to set the tone (blue, sepia, etc.) for the B&W setting. Otherwise, as someone has already suggested, you can take a color photo and process it into B&W in Photoshop or similar program on your computer.

Unimaxium said:
Just click the "User CP" link in the links bar at the top of any page. :)

And remember, google is your friend for lots of photography-related stuff. You might want to do a search on "digital B&W conversion" or similar. You'll find lots of great stuff :)

Sorry, still a bit miffed....can't see a 'User CP' link!! Which link to I have to go through to get to it?!!

I love that expression 'google is your friend for lots of photography-related stuff'!! Its so true! I looked up loads of photography stuff on google last night as it happens and there is just SO much information. The only thing, a lot of it went over my head as I'm still new to this so I was a bit panicky and wonder if I'll ever 'get it'!!

Sb ;)

User CP is the top left link on this page, just under the logo and forum heading.

You should see:

User CP FAQ Forum Links Directory Gallery Chat Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Most reactions

Back