black & white from muriwai beach

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
had an awesome day today, my neighbours ash and zoe went house hunting... afterwards I persuaded them to head to muriwai beach. i was freaking fab... we collected our limit of greenlip mussels (yum!) off the beach and had one the best dinners in very long time. Ain't nothing like collecting fresh food off the shore.

Here are my black and white ones, i'll post the colour ones later in the week.

Camera is my canon D10, some pics have been duotoned in pshop

the gannet colony
murawai4.jpg

on the way to the main beach
murawai3.jpg

maori bay
murawai.jpg

cliffs of maori bay
duotone.jpg

Dinner! the black foreground are all the greenlip mussels. fresh from ocean and tasty@!
murawai6.jpg

these are gorgeous!.... and fresh mussels to boot.... I'm so jealous.

Wow, nice pictures and what an extra the black and white does. Based on what do you decide if a picture should be color or black & white?
I just had a discussion with my father (filmer) why I take photo’s and don't film... my answer is that "you stop time in a photo" future and past are gone while they are still in a movie. There is no suggestions... just IS.

How is that with Color and Black & White?

Regards
André

Based on what do you decide if a picture should be color or black & white?

Thats a good question! My general rule of thumb, if the the colours are washed out or if the colours tend to be monochromatic, then its a good candidate for black and white.

But in saying that I actually broke that rule with these pics, because pic 1 and 4 had very good colour, so i'll post those here. So sometimes, it becomes my artistic choice to make them black and white. Some folks like just prefer colour, and i totally respect that, others are black and white only which is fine too. I love digital because it gives me a choice between the too and the power to change my mind whenever I like!

I just had a discussion with my father (filmer) why I take photo’s and don't film... my answer is that "you stop time in a photo" future and past are gone while they are still in a movie. There is no suggestions... just IS.

Andre, thats very well said! Thanks for sharing that!

and Mr Sid you might prefer these original ones :D - and Voodoo what you said in an earlier post about the polariser bringing out the greens is certainly true!

murawai-colour1.jpg

murawai-colour2.jpg

Now how can anyone prefer B&W to those gorgeous color shots?
INCOMING! (runs and hides)

Now how can anyone prefer B&W to those gorgeous color shots?

Actually, I don't disagree with you here - in hindsight i think i got a bit too enamoured with b&w. I definately prefer those two in colour now :D

Most reactions

Back