Black & White or Sepia Opinions...

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does this look better in B&W or in Sepia what do you think :indecisiveness:. If I was taking the shot again I would do it differently but as it stands tips on improving either version would be welcomed.:icon_study:

Tractor IH-2.jpg Tractor IH.jpg

Looks equally good in both colours. What do you mean by improvements ? If you are unhappy with something and you can go back and study subject some more, do it. Depends on light your subject will always look different, at least to camera and subsequently in image. But the big thing in photography is to make camera take the image you see in your imagination. However the popular mantra nowadays is to it in Photoshop.:crushed:

You could bring the shade areas up a bit, particularly helpful for the B&W version.

They both look ok. I would have used a fill flash or some form of reflected light on the heavy shadows.

Very bright sky determined the settings so as not to blow out the clouds. Maybe a bracketed shot to bring out details in the darker shadows.

Great subject matter, I love old farm machinery.

What do you mean by improvements ?

Actually I like this image as I like farm machinery but I was little miffed that every shot I had taken using this POV had the front tyre just cropped out a little, its small but I punched myself in the liver at the time :irked:.

What do you mean by improvements ?

Actually I like this image as I like farm machinery but I was little miffed that every shot I had taken using this POV had the front tyre just cropped out a little, its small but I punched myself in the liver at the time :irked:.
Hm. It is hard to say, why this happened. Somehow you didn't pay attention to the bottom of the frame. Well, one more lesson.
Actually it doesn't bother me at all. This is not only tractor, it is a tractor in the bushes and the minute crop put the machine firmly on and in the ground. Maybe it was flat.

I also found the Sepia seems to be more of an Antique color and a mild sepia looks pretty good. I also liked it with a bit of vignetting just to bring down the bright grass in the lower left and sky in upper right and that brought my focus to the tractor; and burn in just a bit on the white area of the motor hood (and the International name if this is for collectors of that line of products).

I prefer the silver version personally ... In either version though I would clone out that bright leaf in the lower left of the frame ... Little distracting for me

I'd bring out the shadows and clean up the tones a little. Seems little muddy
Tractor IH-21.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I made some suggested edits but in the end I preferred the B&W.

Most reactions

Back