Black & white w/selective color

calmom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello! I am new here and this is my first post. I've been spending hours at this forum and even though I'm a newbie, I'd like to jump in and start learning from all of you.

This was shot with D70s. iso 1000, f3.2 and 1/6400. Specifically, I'm wondering about the composition and if the black and white conversion is ok. I'm just learning how to use the Gimp right now. I really like this picture so it's hard for me to be objective about it.

294306904_60cd3ece45.jpg

Thanks,
Christie

At this resolution I cant make out what the subject of the spot colouring is but I think you need to evaluate a photograph first and really think about whether or not you will be enhancing the shot using this technique. Personally I'm not in favour, but it takes all sorts, these fads come n go, (spot colour/cross process/etc etc) but in the end we nearly all return to one or the other format in preference.

I think the spot would've been a lot nicer if you didn't use selective coloring in the.. spotted bumble bee? In my opinion, selective coloring should be used on or really close to the subject. Like, instead of colorign what it was you did, color in that the hands are holding?

Its a ladybug :). If it was easier for people to tell what it was, like maybe a larger resolution it might look a lot better.

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I appreciate them. It's true, it is kind of hard to see now that I look at it.

markc, feel free to edit! thanks.:wink:

Thanks.

294306904_60cd3ece45-mod.jpg

It's a non-standard ratio, but it better deals with the main subjects. I cropped, enlarged, sharpened, used levels to move up the black point, cloned out the toe, and then just threw a black border on so it's better separated from the site background.

I like how the ladybug is over the shadow in the same place it started in the actual hand. Neat. Tells a story. I don't normally like selective color, but it works here.

markc, thanks so much for taking the time! it looks much better. i'm impressed and i can't wait until i can fully take advantage of the gimp to do this kind of editing. is it ok if i save a copy of your version?

mysteryscribe, please go ahead!

I'm certainly no expert, but it might be more appealing if you colored in the leaf in the child's hands and left the rest black and white?

I've always wanted to play with this kinda photography, but never knew HOW to do it? What did you use? Illustrator and masks? Can ya give me a quick and dirty 1,2,3 on doing it?

thanks!

Daylon

i like it, but i would have made the leaf in hand the color object since it is the center of my attention, then i would have dodged the butterfly to make it almost as pronounced as the color leaf by standing out with that dark shadow background.

but either way. nice work. i am going to attempt one of these soon.

I think it is a curious shot...I am thinking that perhaps the leaf and ladybug would look nice in color...like the ladybug was taking off from the leaf...

I'm also wondering if lightening up the hands shadows also wouldn't help as, that was what my eyes were drawn to at first

BTW: Welcome:mrgreen:

The cropped version is much stronger. In the original my eye wanted to right to the hands and the leaf. It seems as if that was the main subject when you want the bug to be the subject, I think. Also, in the cropped version your eye can rest on the bug instead of squinting to see what it is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back