Bladetail, for those that like rare dragonflies

tpe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It took a fair bit of stalking to get a pic of this guy, it was very shy, but on the last day of a trip to Montenegro I was lucky enough to get clost to it. I had been trying to creep up slowly but it didnt work untl, by crawling very slowly low on my belly in the dirt for about 20 mins I got to within about 20cm. I think this must be because it didnt disturb its idea of how the surroundings should be to suddenly.

dragonfly_59.jpg

Can you see the extra guest in the photo? I tried several times to get them both in focus but couldnt quite manage it without scaring off the main subject, alas i did scare it off just after this shot and didnt have enough patientce to take up the chase again.

I think it is a bladetail (Lindenia tetraphylla) which is suposedly quite uncommon. The nature in Montenegro is really amazing, almost everything turns out to be unusual somehow. But I think i was lucky getting near to it in the end anyway. If anyone can confirm or deny it would be very good to hear.

At night it was a little easier.

dragonfly_60.jpg

Thanks for looking

Tim

Last edited:
Great shots and good to see you around again :)

And I missed the little extra one in the first shot! Great camoflage and really neat to get both in the frame (even if not both in focus its still a great capture). Sadly I don't have any reference books for that area of the world for dragons so I can't confirm it.

Many thanks Overread, nice to see you here too! I didn't really leave, but three kids and wife have been a little demanding time wise so not many oppertunities to take photos, or post, but always good to read and see the posts here even if not able to contribute much.

Best

Tim

Most reactions

Back