Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
wsgphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My blogs always die a horrible lonely death from neglect. :lmao:

SINCE you asked:

"...I introduce the lovely Linda Tran who's recent bridal session..." should be "whose"

"Hair" and "Make-up" don't need to be capitalized.

Watch your use of "its" and "it's"-- "With it's lovely arches" should be "its."
"...well manicured landscape I feel it a perfect place..." should be it's. Although actually, I'd also drop the "I feel." You're writing the blog; it's your opinion--therefore the "I feel" is not really necessary.

You've got "it's" where you should use "its" again in the next paragraph ("it's wide aperture). Just remember to ask yourself the question: Do I mean "It is?" If not, then lose the apostrophe.

That's as far as I've read. I know it probably sounds like nitpicking, but I personally think good grammar and correct spelling go a long way to make a blog more professional looking, and helping to attract readers.

EDIT: One thing I *do* really like is how you've broken the text up into small paragraphs in between the photos. It makes it more readable and then as a person scrolls down to look at the photos, I think they'll be more likely to keep reading as well.

I tend to blog only when I go out and shoot something that might be construed as being mildly noteworthy...

I tend to blog only when I go out and shoot something that might be construed as being mildly noteworthy...

Excellent point. Forcing a blog post so that you can post something each week can actually be bad if all your blog post don't provide anything of value. This is the problem with 95% of blogs that people do to "promote" their business.

Excellent point. Forcing a blog post so that you can post something each week can actually be bad if all your blog post don't provide anything of value. This is the problem with 95% of blogs that people do to "promote" their business.

its a double edged sword. There are companies out there that all these do is write articles for your blog. The purpose behind this is to boost your "searchability" for search engines like Google. Google sees that more content has been added to your site so it then combs through your blog post looking for unique keywords to help optimize the searchability of your blog and it's service. This is good and bad. It's good because you get more searchability for potential customers, but the bad is that you has article that are fluff or add nothing good to your site. The best way to go about it to post frequently but have decent content. Personally I feel like quality trumps the quantity.

And remember - unique keywords!

Yes, keywords and metadata. I do note blogging get's me higher up the list of a Google search for wedding photographers.

I have plenty of images, shooting at least once a week for a long time now. I also don't think blogs need be a pictorial essay either, perhaps a blog about some new gear or a technique learned?

. I also don't think blogs need be a pictorial essay either, perhaps a blog about some new gear or a technique learned?

Exactly. Try to stay away from opinion pieces, but describing your process or talking why you use a certain piece of gear all helps.

I also don't think blogs need be a pictorial essay either, perhaps a blog about some new gear or a technique learned?

Here is the thing that bothers me and I dont mean to be rude at all. Your blog post does not seem to match the purpose of your website. Everything else on your website is geared toward getting people to hire YOU to photograph them yet your blog post talks about gear, lighting, and other techniques.

Do people looking to hire a photographer care that you bought your lens at WPPI, or that your lens has no zoom. No they don't. they want to know that you can deliver the kind of images they want of themselves.

If you were advertising workshops where you teach new photographers then that information would be more suited for a blog post.

Other then the images which are also shown on the home page how exactly does that blog post make prospective clients ant to hire you you photograph them?

Here is the thing that bothers me and I dont mean to be rude at all. Your blog post does not seem to match the purpose of your website. Everything else on your website is geared toward getting people to hire YOU to photograph them yet your blog post talks about gear, lighting, and other techniques.

Do people looking to hire a photographer care that you bought your lens at WPPI, or that your lens has no zoom. No they don't. they want to know that you can deliver the kind of images they want of themselves.

If you were advertising workshops where you teach new photographers then that information would be more suited for a blog post.

Other then the images which are also shown on the home page how exactly does that blog post make prospective clients ant to hire you you photograph them?

You're thinking of it all wrong. The blog is a great tool for getting people to your site. The portfolio is what sells his services. Well prices too.

Now if we're were talking about another type of site the blog would play a different role. But in his current model and all service type sites work the same way.

Those are good points Light Guru and spot on runnah. Yes, my blog is really intended as a searchable draw to my site, to gain Google recognition. I also feel that although the average client knows nothing of photography, they are interested. No they don't care where I bought my lens (Key word linked) or that it has no zoom, but they might appreciate that shallow DOF (doesn't everyone just love that?) and the fact that although more difficult I will go to any length to get that image....well that's what they are supposed to get from that. :D

You're thinking of it all wrong. The blog is a great tool for getting people to your site.

But blog posts about gear and shooting tips are going to attract other photographers and other photographers are not your target audience that you are trying to sell to.

No they don't care where I bought my lens (Key word linked) or that it has no zoom, but they might appreciate that shallow DOF (doesn't everyone just love that?)

But they don't care what lens you use or what you do with that lens to get it.

When I go to a restraunt I don't ask them about what frying pan or oven they use.

Trever you shoot weddings portraits etc. Why not do blog posts that potential clients might find useful to help them get better pictures. A couple of ideas. Tips on how choose where to have your engagement photos taken. Include things like time of year and how that can effect the choice. Or a blog post on what to ware to a photo session, with things about sliming clothing etc. in general things your prospective clients may find useful and things that would keep your current clients coming back.

You could also do posts on what to expect when going to your bridal photo session or to your senior portrait session. Explain the overall process of the shoot, how long it will take how many different outfits they should bring etc.

Most reactions

Back