Blood. Hands. Razors.

julie32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.juliestarkphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A rather strange post today, but I could use your ideas. Need to photograph hands with a razor blade and fake blood. Post production, the hands will be black/white and the blood will be red. Nothing too gorey (sp?) or horror film like. If I can say I want it to be classy then that's more the arena I'm shooting for (pun not intended). Little blood.

What can I use to simulate blood, short of cutting myself?
Also, do you have any composition ideas? I have a number of ideas swirling around my head, but I would like some more.

Thank you so much, as always.
julie

Mix some red food dye and honey. If you can manage to break a chunk out of the middle you could drop some candle wax on your hand and use that to hold the blade to simulate it being stuck in the hand. Cover it in the red honey and there you go.

If you need an actual cut in the hand..
chew up some bubble gum good
take and it press it on your hand so theres a long lil bump,
press the edges down.
take the razor blade and make a cut through it ( the gum not your hand!)
get some make up concealer or whatever and go over the gum so it matches your skin.
fill inside of cut area with your fake blood.
presto.
actually looks pretty real..

i did that a while back, i used a mix of jam and BBQ sauce for the blood.. haha
its all we had, but it dried after a few mins and actually looked pretty good.

I use a blood recipe similar to this one
2/3 c. Corn Syrup
1/3 c. Warm Water
5 Tbsp Corn Starch
4 tsp red food coloring
1 Tbsp Powdered Cocoa
2 drops of green or yellow food coloring

Sometimes I replace the starch with flour. It is just a hardner. When you add the dye, start slow, especially with the other colours, and work your way to the colour you want. Adding a spoon of Dawn dish soap, helps with the clean up too.

As for the props, I have never tried the wax, but it would probably work. We use liquid latex. Also any Party Packagers(not sure if you have them there) still keep their fake wound and prosthetics props out all year.
If I come up with anything else, I will drop you a PM or add it here.

Good luck.

Chiller's recipe is very similar to the one I used at the last zombie walk. I did get quite a few people who thought my headwound was real.

Corn Syrup can be replaced with golden syrup or honey if need be, and we didn't have corn starch which left us with blood that never actually dried. By the way this doesn't wash out of camera straps very easily.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back