Blowing in the "wind"

I like the expression on her face; I feel she's intensely focused on blowing those dandelion seeds in some particular fashion and enjoying the activity.

The two main points that draw my attention (face and dandelion/seeds) however, are out of focus, which is makes the photo somewhat uncomfortable to view. I'd also like to see her eyes, though that might alter the mood a bit. I'd decide what is most important in this image (face, or dandelion, or seeds blowing away, or..?) and re-shoot it with sharp focus. If the flying seeds are the key element, try to photograph them against a darker background so they pop more. In this image, the seeds seem lost in that pale green background. Maybe even apply some light to better expose the little seeds in action. Try not to cut off the model's hand and watch the exposure.

Oh hey, you're in Yakima. I'm in Puyallup. :)

I like your thought here. Like said above the focus is off, way off. I think her face is a bit underexposed as well. I agree with the eyes being open would help as well. I think it would give some depth to where the imagination takes the viewer.

Thanks for the comments! I seem to learn a lot more from the photos that weren't so well executed than from the ones that were!

If I recall correctly, I focused on the head of the dandelion, which in hindsight doesn't make much sense since the subject is either her face or the floating seeds...

Next time I try, I'll use some flashes, find a father background, and focus more on her face. I think I like her eyes closed, but maybe I'll try both. There are certainly lots of dandelions around here to practice on!

And yes, there actually seem to be lots of people on this forum from the washington area!

Also stop down a little bit to f/7.1 or 8 to extend your DOF so both the face and the seeds can be in focus. You will have to bump the ISO a little to keep the shutter speed however or add more light with a flash.

a tighter shutter would have caught all those things blowing to be crisp :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back