blue iris

jayjuice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
critique appreciated :)

c_fl0054.jpg

I think I would really like this close crop of the iris flower if there wasn't the empty lefthand upper corner. If the entire photo were this intense blue with the yellow in the middle, I'd say: "WOW". But that empty corner really bugs me...
(But there's no need to seriously listen to an amateur like me...!)

I disagree that the yellow should be in the center. I think your composition is very strong on the 'rule of thirds', which is always a nice idea, but there seem to be a lot of things pointing me off to the right.

I've found that people (in the western culture) tend to view art like they read a page of text. From top to bottom and left to right and then on to the next page. If there is another peice next to yours on a gallery wall or in a magazine or webpage or whatever, then your piece kinda shoves the viewer off to the next interesting thing that might be next to it on the right.

In my version, I flipped the image, cropped a bit and adjusted the color a smidge just to show what I was talking about. See if you can see a difference as to how your eye is pulled through both pieces. Where does it stop and linger before moving on? Where does it gravitate to next? How is this different between the two versions?

iris_edit.jpg

My version was quick and dirty and it's late, so I apologise if I'm not making my point.

Daniel

The blues and the purples are nice in saturation and not overly done. The yellow off to the side makes for an excellent composition that is much more dramatic than if the yellow was placed in the center. Part of art and photography is grabbing the viewer and pulling them in. THis picture does that and I tend to focus alot on the v petal towards teh center.

This definitely engages the viewer well. The only distracting part is the glaring upper left in the original. It isn't the fact that it is empty, just that the glare from the light is overpowering.

thank yo for your comments!

Daniel, your comments were particularly helpful and opened a whole new way of thinking to me. thank you for opening my eyes :D

jayjuice said:
thank yo for your comments!

Daniel, your comments were particularly helpful and opened a whole new way of thinking to me. thank you for opening my eyes :D
No problem. My background is in painting and composition was key in that world. It was different, though, because I had the luxury of time to set up every last detail of a composition while with a camera, you have to kind of take a pot shot at it unless you are doing static studio work.

Daniel

Most reactions

Back